Good Thursday morning!
The Gallery Pics are from yesterday morning. For some reason, 7th grade girls do not like to walk into school by themselves. They like to walk in as a small herd. It worked out well, and it kept five cars out of the car pool line. (Thanks to Karmen and Neisa for offering to drop off). Hair, clothes, make-up and accessories were key, and I think all the girls did a great job of picking out their first day of school outfits.
I'm always saying we have to be flexible when it comes to growing kids and changing traditions. What I really mean when I say "we" is "you" need to be flexible. I want everything to stay the same forever. Alas, being flexible sometimes means "me, too."
For the past 12 years, the Faulkner Five have had breakfast the first morning of school at Shoney's. This year, of course, it was different. I did begin a new tradition of having the Prayer Dinner for the leaving college student. However, I did expect us to keep up the breakfast tradition for a few more years. Enter mandatory football breakfasts.
Okay. Time to be flexible again. (That's twice in less than a week, folks!) I changed our breakfast the first day of school to a very nice DINNER the first evening after school... on the deck if the weather is nice. And that's it! No more flexibility this week! I'm DECLARING it... and you know what happens when I DECLARE something. (For the Newbies, it means something usually blows up in my face, but we'll wait and see. Maybe this time it will be different.)
NOTE TO ALL THE "FIRST DAY" PEOPLE I LEFT OUT OF YESTERDAY'S POST - I'm very sorry I left out teachers, school personnel and kindergartners when wishing everyone a good first day. I feel awful. Truly, I do. I wouldn't blame you if you never visited my blog again. (I'm a good apologizer, ain't I? That "ain't" is for all the teachers and school personnel out there. Just a little joke.)
FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL REPORT - Roxie's schedule totally changed, but she was fine with everything, and is looking forward to tomorrow. (She was VERY flexible. She did not get that from me.)
Josh had a good day, too. He put in a very long day, but he's been happy, talkative and excited. We're trusting God and praying this will be his first "normal" year in five long years. One day at a time... one day at a time. And today was good.
BARRY MANILOW REVEAL - I guess you've guessed by now the Big Reveal will be tomorrow morning. I'm scheduled to have my picture taken with the Mystery Girl today at 3:15. I'll also post the original story, so the Newbies will know what the heck is going on. Come back tomorrow to see the Most Famous Woman in Gardendale!
AUSTIN UPDATE - You'll be happy to know that after Friday, the Austin Update will not be a daily section. Maybe it will be weekly, or maybe I'll just talk about him when things come up as I've always done. (That would probably be the most healthy way to handle it... but I've never been accused of being "healthy" in the way I've handled things in the past, so we'll just have to play that one by ear.)
I broke a "hovering helicopter mother" rule and called him this morning (instead of waiting for him to call me... which he does). He told me all about his plans for the day (which basically is the 12-hour band camp schedule he's been following all along). He said he was going to talk to Josh and Roxie tonight about their first days as a 7th grader and a Sophomore, and he hoped they did well. "Oh, and by the way... I'm making my bed." Silence.
"Why are you making your bed? I thought you decided to only make the bed when parents were visiting?" I asked, still stunned.
"I've decided I like things neat," he replied.
Now, Austin has always kept things "neat" in his school binders, medicine cabinet, desk, nightstand, truck, etc., but his bed... not so much. When he's home, it's one of the things he has to do (along with cleaning his toilet and bathroom) before he can leave the house, but I assumed those things would go by the wayside.
"Well, good for you," I said, hoping that was the appropriate "non-hovering helicopter mom" response.
"I'm also keeping a list of things I need to get from home this weekend, and I've started a grocery list so I can make just one trip." Silence.
"Really?" I responded weakly, trying not to sound too surprised. "Well, if you'll call me with the list Friday, I'll pick up the groceries for you to take back Monday morning."
"Oh, you don't have to do that, Mom. I'll take care of it." More silence. (I think this time I actually lost consciousness.)
"What is your Dad's nickname for you?" I asked, suddenly suspicious.
"The boy," he answered... correctly.
"What is my favorite band nickname given to you by your friend Drummond?" I asked rapid-fire... You know, like on 24.
"Faulk Daddy," he again answered correctly.
"If you could have one meal every day for the rest of your life, what would it be?" I asked.
"Pizza, pizza, pizza," he replied.
"Okay. This is something only the one true Austin would know. When we sing 'I'll Go To My Grave' by The Statler Brothers in the car, which part do I always sing?" I had him now. Only MY Austin would know the answer to that question.
Heavy sigh on the other end of the phone. "You sing bass... badly. Mom, are you okay?" he asked, sounding a little concerned.
"I just need a minute," I said, rambling through my purse looking for my "Austin's gone to college" medication.
I miss him.
WEEKEND FAMILY FUN
Lego Grand Opening at Riverchase Galleria - The dates for this event are August 28 through 30. There will be a masterbuilder creating an 8' R2D2. You will also get to see a life-sized Indiana Jones model. How cool. Here's the new stuff... From Lego you'll get a free LEGO Star Wars Certificate of Achievement for helping, while supplies last.
Visit the LEGO Store during the event to enter for a chance to win a $50 LEGO Store Gift Card. No purchase necessary to enter.
On Saturday, be one of the first 300 customers to spend $35 in the LEGO Store and you'll receive an exclusive, limited-edition LEGO Vulcan Statue set.
On Sunday, the first 300 customers to spend $35 in the LEGO Store will receive an exclusive, limited-edition LEGO Minifigure T-shirt. Shirts are available in child's sizes only.
If you've got a LEGO-lovin' kid, this sounds like a great event to try to attend.
Comedy Club Mystery Dinner Theater
This would be a fun and different date for you and your spouse. The cost is $31 each, and includes the meal, dessert and beverages... plus the show.
The show playing at this time is The Redneck-Italian Wedding Mystery. It is an interactive play where you try to help solve a murder mystery. Although we haven't been to the one at The Comedy Club (yet), we did attend one in Nashville and it was great fun. These plays are advertised as family-friendly, but when you make your reservations you can always ask questions to double check.
For more information, you can go to their website at www.stardome.com or call The Comedy Club.
Since the date is about a "mystery," don't tell your spouse where you're going or what you're going to be doing. Make it ALL a mystery, and have a good time!
Have a good Thursday. Don't forget the Barry Manilow Reveal tomorrow. Also, I'll have not one, but TWO books since I was too incapacitated to do a book review last Friday. You know you don't want to miss that!
Take care, and I'll talk to you tomorrow.
Sincerely,
The Enchanting Belinda Faulkner
If you are new to A Simple Life, here's a little tip. There will ALWAYS be many, many pics at the end of each post. New pictures are added every day (Monday through Friday). If you want to get to the "picture" part of the blog, you have to keep scrolling down, down, down... but you will eventually find it! Thanks for visiting!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Friday...
Finally, some new basketball action shots.
The JV team had two 40-minute games Friday, so I thought I would just go ahead and start filming now!
And here's the obligatory Bryant Tuggle pic. He's a HUGE supporter of our baskeball team. Always has been... always will be. Well, until he gets his own driver's license!
Saturday...
We spent the day with the cousins Saturday. Monica, Amy, Roxie and I shopped at Brookwood, ate at Yolo's and went to the movies (Pirates 4). It was a great day, but the best part was our celebrity sighting...
That's right! Will Ferrell! (Please feel free to use your imagination. I know we did!)
Sunday...
Mikie's 50th Family Birthday Celebration! Everyone knows 50 year-old men LOVE the Green Lantern...and their wives really like Ryan Reynolds! (How cool would it be to have your picture on a birthday party plate package? Another goal, perhaps?)
What do you give a 50 year-old guys for his birthday? Cards... filled with money, Ricky Skaggs' concert tickets, a True Grit DVD and a Red Devil's Food Cake with Divinity Icing (from his Mom). It was a very good day!
Lovely Melia gave him the True Grit DVD. (I LOVE that movie!)
And it wouldn't be a birthday without a hug from Roxie!
5 comments:
OMG!!! You've raised a great kid, whose is well adjusted and will be okay at college. That's great...He's going to do wonderful. The jury is still out on you however. Remember, God is watching over Austin and He's watching over you too.
Love You
B
Belinda, you make me smile every morning when I read this blog. You are doing great and Austin will do great too. I love you girl!
Thank goodness for prescription drug insurance. These "Austin's gone to college" meds are killing me.
Are you sure they aren't addictive?
Mike
Sounds like you've got some needy readers based on yesterday's comments.
Leave me alone Mike!
I can be needy if I want to. I have earned the privilege after 25 years with my sweet hubby and 15 years with 3 boys. It's all that T hormone running rampant at my house.
RO
BTW You seem pretty needy with all those "sweet" words you like to throw at B. Just sayin...
Yes Belinda, I know he just likes to rile me, but I can't let him get away with it!
Post a Comment