Thursday, August 13, 2009

Weekend Happenings

Good Friday morning!

I won't keep you waiting any longer...

TA-DA!! THE BARRY MANILOW BACK-UP SINGER REVEAL - You'll notice the picture in the Gallery today is of me and the truly enchanting JILL MONTGOMERY... Barry Manilow's Back-Up Singer! Below is the original post dated April 12, 2009 and it tells the story of how I found out about Jill's most marvelous secret...

I mentioned Mr. Manilow on Friday. I love Barry Manilow. I am, and will always be, a Fanilow. I've attended more concerts than I can remember. I attended those concerts wearing my light blue silk "Barry Manilow Blouse." (It didn't say "Barry Manilow" on the blouse. It was just an exceptionally pretty blouse, and in my mind, if he ever pulled me up on stage, I would look good wearing it beside him. I only wore it to Barry Manilow concerts.) I, at one time, had all of his albums (before kids). I had all of his piano music, and when I was alone, I would play and play and play my favorite Barry Manilow songs. When I was a member of a theme supper club for a few years, when it was my turn to host, we had Copacabana Night. I looked into becoming Jewish, but without a firm commitment from him, it was too much work. I say all of the above to let you know... I am not just a fan... I AM THE FANILOW!

I was walking with my friend, Cam, last week and she asked me if I had heard that a particular woman we both know had once sang back-up for Barry Manilow. "What? Are you kidding me? I never knew that!" I was shocked. Someone I knew and saw from time to time had actually stood on a stage with the incomparable Mr. Manilow.

Why had I never heard this? I think (no, I know) if I had ever sang backup for ANYONE (even the Wiggles), I would introduce myself in this way, "How do you do? My name is Belinda Faulkner, and I once sang back-up for Barry Manilow." It would be said immediately and FIRST. (I would then show them the "I sang back-up for Barry Manilow" tattoo on my right arm!)

Well, not that I didn't believe my friend, but I felt it necessary to call the woman and hear it from her own two lips. The conversation went something like this:

"Hello?"

"Hi. This is Belinda. I heard a rumor about you, and..."

Lots of laughter from her side of the phone. "Girl, I can't believe you didn't know that."

"Know that? If I had known that, I would have a picture of you on my 'Famous People I've Met So Far' page in my scrapbook! I would have asked you for his address so I could send him a Happy Hanukkah card! I would have been impressing people all the years I've known you by spouting that fact whenever there was a slight lull in the conversation. You are my hero right now."

"Well, it wasn't a big deal," she said modestly.

Obviously, her idea of a big deal and my idea of a big deal differ significantly. "It's the biggest deal EVER." I also found out I was in attendance at that specific concert.

"I also sang with Michael Bolton and Sandi Patti when they came to Birmingham."

Okay. Now she was just bragging. "Get out!" I shouted. "You are my best friend EVER."

She started getting a little quiet. I think I scared her. So I tried to bring it down a notch before I asked, "I have a blog, and I would love to have our picture made together and post it. It would be one of the highlights of my life." (That's me... being pathetic AGAIN.)

Well, we are planning to have our picture taken together for the blog AND the Famous People page of my scrapbook in a few weeks at our daughters' dance recital. I'm going to try to find my Barry Manilow light blue silk blouse. There's no doubt in my mind it won't fit, but I'm going to pin it to the top of whatever I'm wearing that day. Watch for the picture (SHOWCASE FOR SURE!) the first week of June.

I don't want this woman to be bothered beforehand (or someone else to get her picture before I do), so her name will be revealed along with her picture June 1. Until then, I will protect her identity.

As I said earlier, this was first posted April 12. Needless to say, I missed my June 1 deadline, but today -- August 14, 2009 -- will now be known as one of my best days EVER in my WHOLE life. (Again, that's just me being pathetic.)

Thank you, Jill. I hope the paparazzi doesn't bother you too much after reading the blog. Let me know if they do. (That's number 97 on my list of 100 Things To Do Before I'm 90... Be on the cover of a reputable tabloid!)

AUSTIN UPDATE - This is the last "official" update you will be receiving on the blog. I've decided to go the "healthy" route and mention him on an "as needed" basis. Of course, I may NEED to mention him more than normal from time to time, but bear with me, please.

Let's recap, shall we?

He's exhausted from his 12 hour days, but has yet to complain to anyone (his section leader OR his parents)...

He absolutely loves his refrigerator and has positioned it where he can slightly lean to his right and get what he needs without actually getting off the bed...

He has showered every day (and I'm not asking him... he's just offering the info)...

He has decided we (as his parents) were right about some things, but the jury's still out about other things...

He misses us, but is not homesick...

He is not having to take "Austin has gone to college" medication, unlike his mother who is still taking it daily...

He has called home more than we have called him (good, good boy)...

He'll be arriving in Gardendale between 9:00 and 9:30 a.m. Saturday morning (and I can't wait for him to see the shrine/museum we've set up in his room)...

We can't wait to see him, because...

We miss him.

Weekend Happenings

I suppose it goes without saying I'll be staring at Austin all day Saturday and Sunday (BECAUSE HE'LL BE HOME!!!). But other than that, we do have a couple of other things going on in the Faulkner household... most of them sports related.

Roxie has a volleyball tournament (kind of a pre-tournament, actually) Saturday morning. Josh has Meet the Rockets Saturday night which is a time when the football teams, cheerleaders, band, dance team, etc. "show their stuff." We'll be attending that event for sure.

We'll be having lunch with some family friends Sunday afternoon. Austin didn't get to visit with them before he left for school... and that pretty much sums up our weekend. It should be fun.

Books

Today's books are a series of books for parents to read to their children about SEX. That's right. You knew it was going to come sometime. There are a total of four books, and they are divided into age categories and age-appropriate topics. The series is called God's Design for Sex and these books are exceptional.

The first one is called The Story of Me by Stan and Brenna Jones. It is for children ages three to five. This book identifies proper names for body parts and talks about the family being what God intended for the nurture and love of children.

The second book is called Before I Was Born by Carolyn Nystrom and it is for ages five to eight. It discusses conception, fetal development, childbirth and breastfeeding in age-appropriate language.

The third book is What's the Big Deal? Why God Cares About Sex by Stan and Brenna Jones and it is designed for ages eight to eleven. The subject matter of this book deals with why God made adults so that they want to have sex, why God designed sex to be shared only within marriage, how to respond when you feel sexual pressure from peers, TV, etc.

The fourth book is Facing the Facts by Stan and Brenna Jones for children ages eleven to fourteen. It discusses why God intends sex for marriage, love and dating, and answers some difficult questions about sexuality.

As a parent, I went through the books first, and then I went over the chapters I felt applied to the child I was dealing with at that time. I didn't necessarily go by the time table set by the authors. Every child is different, and I felt it was up to me and Mike as the parents, to decide what to discuss and when to discuss it with each child.

However, the books are excellent tools, and they make a hard job much, much easier. I highly recommend getting this set of books for your "parental" library.

Have a fantastic weekend. We will because... TA-DA!! AUSTIN'S COMING HOME! Come back next week. There will be no daily AUSTIN UPDATES, but I've got a few other things up my short sleeves for us to talk about.

Take care, and I'll talk to you Monday.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda Faulkner

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. I love the new moniker "The Enchanting Belinda Faulkner" - perfect!

2. I can't believe I taught the daughter of the famous Barry Manilow back up singer! I never would have guessed the identity of this famous person...

3. I look forward to your blog surprises every day :)

Joni

Anonymous said...

Hey, Belinda!! I am tickled pink for you over your recent brush with fame! I knew you were a Fanilow from way back, so you were due this treat. Got to see the blue blouse... didn't Barry wear a blue silky shirt on one of his album covers??
See ya, Enchantress!!
Jenny

Anonymous said...

Well, I thought we were gone for good from the "All Things Barry" phase, but I see I was wrong. I guess that means I'll have to pull out my silky shirt that only has two buttons at the bottom, go blond and get hair extensions. Sorry, but I can't do anything to match that nose of his.

Do you know where my "All Things Barry" medication! I'm gonna need it.

Mike

Beebo said...

Having been there from the "All Things Barry" Beginning I can tell you it is not a phase it is a lifelong commitment. I didn't know she could play other stuff on the piano for years cause Barry was all I heard. She even made me sing along. I may not write the songs that make the whole world sing...but I can sing aaallll of Barry's songs even the commercials and I'm not even a fanilow. LOL
B

roakley said...

Hey,
Your next contest should be Barry trivia. I bet I could make a good showing, even though I missed out on backing him up because of my friends wedding.

RO

Anonymous said...

Ok - first of all, I did not know you had a blog!! This is great!! I did not know we had such fame here in Gardendale!!!
You are too funny!!!!

Blessings to you and enjoy your weekend with Austin!! He is an incredible young man!!

Tracy Hacker

Friday...

Friday...
Finally, some new basketball action shots.

The JV team had two 40-minute games Friday, so I thought I would just go ahead and start filming now!

And here's the obligatory Bryant Tuggle pic. He's a HUGE supporter of our baskeball team. Always has been... always will be. Well, until he gets his own driver's license!

Saturday...

Saturday...
We spent the day with the cousins Saturday. Monica, Amy, Roxie and I shopped at Brookwood, ate at Yolo's and went to the movies (Pirates 4). It was a great day, but the best part was our celebrity sighting...

That's right! Will Ferrell! (Please feel free to use your imagination. I know we did!)

Sunday...

Sunday...
Mikie's 50th Family Birthday Celebration! Everyone knows 50 year-old men LOVE the Green Lantern...and their wives really like Ryan Reynolds! (How cool would it be to have your picture on a birthday party plate package? Another goal, perhaps?)

What do you give a 50 year-old guys for his birthday? Cards... filled with money, Ricky Skaggs' concert tickets, a True Grit DVD and a Red Devil's Food Cake with Divinity Icing (from his Mom). It was a very good day!

Lovely Melia gave him the True Grit DVD. (I LOVE that movie!)

And it wouldn't be a birthday without a hug from Roxie!