Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Stuff a Mailbox

Good Wednesday morning!

The Gallery Pics today are of a couple of Roxie's binders. Aren't they pretty? She doesn't have to go to college in five years. She could just make her fortune by becoming a Funky Binder Designer. Yeah. That's the ticket!

DON'T FORGET - Go by and get your FREE Arby's Chicken Club Sandwich today!

NOTE TO TONYA AND LEANNA - THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH! I was surprised by a knock on my door yesterday afternoon. Two extremely handsome young men were standing there... with a gift bag... which they gave to me! And inside was a lovely card (that even had a little diamond "bling" on the front)... And inside the card was a gift certificate to my favorite manicure place in Gardendale. (And the card was addressed to The Enchanting Belinda Faulkner. See the picture in the Gallery?)

Poor, poor handsome young men. I bear-hugged both of them and told them to pass the hug on to their moms (which they did), but they're probably pretty traumatized right about now. (At least I didn't make them take a picture with me for the blog! I was so surprised, I forgot!)

I truly, truly appreciate your thoughtfulness, girls. It was so sweet and so unexpected... Which I guess is the correct definition of really good "surprise." Thank you, again.

NOTE TO ROBIN - I've come to the conclusion that one of the reasons Mikie makes comments like that on the blog is to get a reaction out of you! That's just one of the reasons. He also likes to stay on my good side. (I'm less likely to make him drive 180 miles -- two ways -- to check on "the boy" if I'm in a really good mood.)

BARRY MANILOW REVEAL It's getting closer and closer, folks. Maybe she could pull some strings and he could put on a little concert at the Gardendale Civic Center Amphitheater. And she (and I) could be back-up singers. And... I've really got to get off of some of this "Austin's Going to College" medication pretty soon. It really keeps you from living in "reality." But keep checking, the reveal will be here before you know it!

LAST DAY OF SUMMER - Our last day of summer consisted of the norm for us these days... swimming, volleyball and football. My, we sound like the most athletic family ever, don't we? It was a good way to spend the day. Everyone is physically tired, and even though we're excited about school tomorrow, I think everyone will rest well.

AUSTIN UPDATE - Band tryouts were today. Austin received a partial band scholarship several months ago, so we kept telling him he was a Marching Southerner or they wouldn't have given him a scholarship. But in his mind, everything hinged on today's decision. As of 10:00 a.m. this morning, it is official. He's a Southerner!

I think some things are kind of hitting him now. Three more days until he comes home is seeming a little long for him. He's still branching out and meeting new people, but he'll be more than a little ready for a homecoming, I think.

Everyone gets a nickname in the band, and he's not happy with his... Big Red. He's had some really good nicknames in the past (my favorite being "Faulk Daddy), and this one is not up to par with his high school nicknames. But, as he told me, you really aren't allowed to give yourself a nickname. (I didn't tell him I had officially given myself the nickname "The Enchanting Belinda Faulkner." No need to make him feel jealous... or totally humiliated.)

Oh... One of the neatest things about the dorm is the security system. You have to open a black box, and punch in a secret code. Then, after the code has been accepted, you have to put your hand on an imprint and it recognizes your fingerprints before the door opens. It's very "Jack Bauer," which we love.

He's doing okay. Not as well as yesterday, but still pretty good.

I miss him.

Stuff a Mailbox - Okay. I was going to do this for Austin this year, but he lost his school address. I do plan on doing it next year and every year thereafter for any kids of mine going to school. I'm going to stuff their mailbox the week before they move on campus.

By stuffing, I mean I'm going to get anyone and everyone willing to send a card or letter to Austin to put it in the mail a few days before he moves in the dorm. On his first full day of school, he can go to his post office box on campus, open his mailbox and have a box full of cards and well wishes from people he knows and loves. He can read them all at once, or a couple of them each day. Whatever makes him happy.

Everyone loves getting mail. I imagine this will be one of my favorite things to do (starting next year), because I know it will put a smile on his face... or any of our kids' faces.

If you ever want to do it for your child, let me know... I'll be glad to send a card or two and Stuff a Mailbox in honor of your son or daughter!

Have a wonderful Wednesday. I know all the kids in my town are back in school now, and I hope they have a great day. For first graders, first day middle schoolers and first day high schoolers (and their moms), I especially hope things go smoothly. Every day will get easier and easier as the kids learn their way around. (I know. I know. That applies to me and Austin, too. I'm trying to not be a hypocrite.) I have a date for you and your spouse tomorrow, so stop by for a minute or two.

Take care, and I'll talk to you tomorrow.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda Faulkner

(I like it. I think I'm going to keep it at least another week or so.)

3 comments:

Jared P. said...

Trust me - "Big Red" is not as bad as it seems. During my time working at the County lockup, I worked alongside some band members. Some of the names I can tell you, such as "Gumby" "Cupcake" and CWMA (Coolest White Man in America). Others, I don't think you'd fell comfortable with me leaving them on your blog. :) "Big Red" could be a whole lot worse.

roakley said...

Hey,
What about first day for kindergartners? That's a biggie and yes it went fine today in my K class, thank you for asking.


BTW www.from-mom.com has care packages for college students. Check it out.

RO

momofboys said...

How about first day for office workers??? Mine went fine, thank you! (Thanks to some help from some wonderful Moms). Tell Austin that I definitely like "Big Red"! I think that's cool, and it could most definitely be worse! I'm glad he's doing good!

Friday...

Friday...
Finally, some new basketball action shots.

The JV team had two 40-minute games Friday, so I thought I would just go ahead and start filming now!

And here's the obligatory Bryant Tuggle pic. He's a HUGE supporter of our baskeball team. Always has been... always will be. Well, until he gets his own driver's license!

Saturday...

Saturday...
We spent the day with the cousins Saturday. Monica, Amy, Roxie and I shopped at Brookwood, ate at Yolo's and went to the movies (Pirates 4). It was a great day, but the best part was our celebrity sighting...

That's right! Will Ferrell! (Please feel free to use your imagination. I know we did!)

Sunday...

Sunday...
Mikie's 50th Family Birthday Celebration! Everyone knows 50 year-old men LOVE the Green Lantern...and their wives really like Ryan Reynolds! (How cool would it be to have your picture on a birthday party plate package? Another goal, perhaps?)

What do you give a 50 year-old guys for his birthday? Cards... filled with money, Ricky Skaggs' concert tickets, a True Grit DVD and a Red Devil's Food Cake with Divinity Icing (from his Mom). It was a very good day!

Lovely Melia gave him the True Grit DVD. (I LOVE that movie!)

And it wouldn't be a birthday without a hug from Roxie!