Thursday, March 31, 2011

Animal Lover Date

Good Thursday morning!

I've organized a little. If you have ever been in the entryway of my house, you know it looks like giant Asian people live here. (Code for WE TAKE OUR GIANT SHOES OFF AT THE DOOR.) I'm tired of tripping over the giant shoes, so I neatened the area up a little. We'll see if it works.

RANDOMNESS #1 - Today I'm meeting a friend for lunch downtown. This may not seem like a big deal to you, but I am filled with trepidation (good word).

I love my Big Gold Van. I can find it in any parking lot. I can look eye-to-eye with most 18-wheeler truck drivers. When someone asks if they can have a ride, I can always say, "YES!"

However, the Big Gold Van is definitely a suburb vehicle and not a downtown vehicle... and that would be because of the parking situation. I cannot parallel park the Big Gold Van. Depending on the parking deck, I may or may not be able to get in... and I may or may not be able to get out. (Been there, had to have an attendant drive it out, done that!)

What is my plan? I'm leaving 50 minutes early and looking for a meter parking space on the END. Do you know how rare those are? I worked downtown for ten years. You could find a dinosaur bone easier than a meter parking space on the END!

Ahh. But there's more. I'm planning on parking eight blocks away (in the less desirable part of town) and hoofing it to the luncheon destination. See? I'm always thinking.

And I'm thinking about taking my Survivor knife with me... just in case!

RANDOMNESS #2 - Tonight is a big night for us. The Faulkner Five are having our church directory picture taken. It has been almost five years since the last directory picture, and while we've had plenty of family shots made, this one will be in a BOOK which will be seen by literally THOUSANDS of people. (Code for IT REALLY NEEDS TO BE A GOOD PICTURE.)

I've picked out a good color scheme, I think. Black, green and two different shades of blue. We're working around Roxie's new dress.

I'm also practicing the word "NO!"

"Ma'am. Would you like to purchase the Platinum Package for $1,500, or can I just sign you up for the Tin Package which will only cost you $1,499?"

"NO! Just give me my complimentary 8" x 10"! NO!" How does that sound? Pretty good, huh?

Do you remember me talking about our train trip vacation to New Orleans this summer? Do you? I'm pretty sure after tonight we'll be having a "stay-cation." But that will give us plenty of time to look at our pictures!

RANDOMNESS #3 - If you're wondering, the No-Bake Chewy Peanut Butter Bars didn't happen yesterday. Miss Brilliant misread the ingredients. In my head I thought it said "5 large marshmallows." In reality, it said "5 cups of large marshmallows." Don't worry. I'm buying marshmallows today after lunch... if I make it back alive.

Blog Linkage - I have old and new links for you to read today. I think you'll like them all.

1. Go to www.andersonfamilycrew.blogspot.com. This young family of six (Mom, Dad, three boys and a little girl) have been going through the adoption process. This week, their new addition arrived from Ethiopia... a beautiful little girl named Elsa. Scroll down to the video of Elsa's arrival in the airport. It is so sweet and beautiful. I cannot wait to follow this family's journey with FIVE small children. It should be very interesting.

2. Go to Nesting Place under My Blog List and scroll down to the post entitled "How to Yard Sale... For Buyers and Sellers." If you've never gone to yard sales, this post will be extremely helpful. And if you frequently go to yard sales, you still might pick up a few tips.

3. I think I'll be adding this blog to My Blog List in the very near future. Go to www.tidymom.net. There isn't a specific post I want you read. Read ALL of it. Tips, crafts, recipes, etc., etc. This chick has it all.

Enjoy!

Animal Lover Date

WARNING - This is a very specific date for our area only. Sorry!

This is a two-part date. If you have an animal-lovin' kid in your family, plan on a Birmingham Zoo AND movie ALL DAY DATE.

First, the new Trails of Africa exhibit featuring a bachelor elephant herd, red river hogs, giraffes, rhinos and antelopes (wildebeest, impala and kudu), along with zebras and ostriches, will be opening the weekend of April 22. Trails of Africa will also include ground and aerial observation opportunities providing education and entertainment to hundreds of thousands of visitors who will enjoy a one-of-a-kind experience.

Sounds wonderful, doesn't it? But wait! There's more!

There is a new IMAX movie coming to McWane Center. Born to be Wild is a documentary/movie about baby orangutans and baby elephants raised by humans to be released into the wild. I saw this trailer at Diary of a Wimpy Kid 2 and it looks wonderful. Although the release date for the movie is April 8, McWane Center has it listed as "Coming Soon."

How fun would it be to experience Trails of Africa in person, and then head to the IMAX later that day for the movie?

It will be a little pricey. I know I try to keep dates on the inexpensive side, but I'm giving you some time to save a little money for this one.

Believe me. Being a mom to an animal-lovin' kid, I KNOW he would have LOVED this date 14 or 15 years ago. (And in case you don't know which kid I'm talking about, The Boy was an animal-lovin' freak back in the day!)

I'll keep checking the IMAX showtimes, and I'll post as soon as they release the date of the movie. I'm almost positive the Trails of Africa exhibit and the movie will coincide. They just have to!

Have a tremendous Thursday. I hope all goes well for you today! Tomorrow is April Fool's Day, so I'll be sharing a couple of old April Fool pranks I've played on the Faulkner Five over the years, as well as Weekend Happenings.

Take care, and I'll talk to you tomorrow.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

6 comments:

momofboys said...

Just keep on thinking that having the word "No" down pat is going to help you resist! Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!! There is NO armor strong enough to resist the sales pitch! I went in telling my entire family, "We are not buying these, we just had family pictures, so back me up!" What did they do? "Oh mom, these look good....let's get the one in the frame!" No support, I tell you! I am weak! Our 3 pose collage arrived Tuesday:(((

Belinda said...

As always... Thank you for your support!

momofboys said...

Sorry, but the truth is painful and I would rather it come from me!

Belinda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dana said...

Same thing happened to me. Went in, sat down, looking at the pics and to the husband for the "I am not buying those" look. Didn't see it. I wasn't really wanting to buy any; but the lack of his "look" was throwing me off. He kept looking back and forth going between shots saying what he liked and didn't like and so forth. I am thinking "what am I missing here, these aren't that good?" I was able to get out without the frames but well more than the complimentary 8x10. We get in the car and dear hubby begins on how we just spent too much on pics we didn't need. When I told him I didn't get the look, he said he didn't get mine either. So we sat there thinking the other wanted the pics that neither of us wanted. Now everytime we look at the pics we can't see the sweet smiling faces, we just see we spent too much money and we didn't give each other the "proper look". Moral of this story?.....Communicate better with the "LOOK"!

Belinda said...

Good advice, Dana. Very good advice!

Friday...

Friday...
Finally, some new basketball action shots.

The JV team had two 40-minute games Friday, so I thought I would just go ahead and start filming now!

And here's the obligatory Bryant Tuggle pic. He's a HUGE supporter of our baskeball team. Always has been... always will be. Well, until he gets his own driver's license!

Saturday...

Saturday...
We spent the day with the cousins Saturday. Monica, Amy, Roxie and I shopped at Brookwood, ate at Yolo's and went to the movies (Pirates 4). It was a great day, but the best part was our celebrity sighting...

That's right! Will Ferrell! (Please feel free to use your imagination. I know we did!)

Sunday...

Sunday...
Mikie's 50th Family Birthday Celebration! Everyone knows 50 year-old men LOVE the Green Lantern...and their wives really like Ryan Reynolds! (How cool would it be to have your picture on a birthday party plate package? Another goal, perhaps?)

What do you give a 50 year-old guys for his birthday? Cards... filled with money, Ricky Skaggs' concert tickets, a True Grit DVD and a Red Devil's Food Cake with Divinity Icing (from his Mom). It was a very good day!

Lovely Melia gave him the True Grit DVD. (I LOVE that movie!)

And it wouldn't be a birthday without a hug from Roxie!