Thursday, January 20, 2011

Casablanca Date

Good Thursday morning!

The Gallery Pics are of Roxie's finger. Her first, and I hope, only surgery will be coming up the first week in February. After Austin had his wisdom teeth removed (see story below), and I saw how he reacted coming out from under anesthesia, I'm more than a little concerned about Roxie's reaction. As promised, she will be wearing her brand new surgery day outfit to and from the outpatient surgical center, so we have some shopping to do between now and February... cause you know I'm going to have pictures THAT day!

Wisdom Teeth Update (First printed June 5, 2009)

Is there anything funnier than Austin Faulkner after he's had a little anesthesia? I know the answer to this one!! NO!

When they called me to the recovery area after he had his teeth pulled, I laughed so hard I had tears rolling down my face. And when the nurse came in to give me the instructions before we could go home, I couldn't stop laughing, so it was VERY embarrassing. I can't share with you all the things he did and said, because then it would embarrass him. However, after asking his permission, the following is what he has allowed me to write on my blog:

1. Every time the nurse asked him how he was doing, he would try to give her a thumbs up, but he could only make it point to the side. He would look at his sideways thumbs up and start chuckling.

2. Every few seconds he would reach over and try to take my glasses off because he thought they were his glasses. When I told him he had his glasses on, he would touch them with his whole hand, give me a sideways thumbs up and start chuckling.

3. He told me he had read all 20 of the plaques on the wall. Then he said, "I'm just messin' with you, Mom. I know there are only two plaques." Again, chuckling. Me, hysterical, because there was only one plaque on the wall.

4. I would normally never put this on my blog because I don't like the word, and I don't like the kids saying it even though it's more slang than curse, but the story isn't the same without out it.

He was sitting quietly, and I was trying to compose myself, when all of a sudden he sat up and started moving his arms up and down in a wavy motion. "Do you know what I am?" he asked, excitedly.

"Austin, be still," I replied (sweetly, yet firmly).

"I'm an octopus. Do you know why I'm an octopus?" he asked again. By this time, I was losing what little composure I had regained, and had started to laugh again. When he saw me laughing, he started patting the sides of my face with the back of his hands and arms... you know, like an octopus would do.

"No, why are you an octopus?" I asked, gasping for air.

"Because this sucks. Get it. An octopus has suckers on it's... it's... Oh, I'm just messin' with you, Mom."

Again, the nurse came in to try to give me the instructions, and I was bent over double in the seat laughing.

They finally sent us home with a pamphlet of instructions. I'm pretty sure we were disturbing the other patients.

Oh. I did do something I'm not very proud of. While he was coming out from under the anesthesia, I questioned him about his senior trip choice. (You know. Sort of like on 24, but without me head-butting him until he gave me the answer I wanted. Jack Bauer would have been proud.) He looked at me (as if he understood what I was saying), motioned for me to come closer (as if to whisper in my ear), and yelled, "We're going where there are octopusssss. Nah. I'm just messin' with you, Mom." And then he put his head back on the chair and started chuckling. (And that's when I almost head-butted my baby.)

I'm hoping there will NOT be an Anesthesia Story for Roxie.

RANDOMNESS #1 - I tried a new recipe the other night. It was a baked chicken recipe with sauce and Swiss cheese and bread crumbs. It was a beautiful dish. Josh took one bite and said, "This tastes like something you would order at Brio's."

"Oh, my. Thank you," I gushed.

"And we all know how much I hate Brio's," he finished.

I didn't take offense. He does hate Brio's, and the chicken was WAY TOO FANCY for his taste. To his credit, he finished his helping, but I didn't share the recipe since it received a very funny, yet negative response. (I try to just share the good stuff.)

RANDOMNESS #2 - As promised, the following is the second part of "Handbook for 2011" which was forwarded to me by my friend, Melaney.

Personality

1. Don't compare your life to others. You have no idea what their journey is all about.

2. Don't have negative thoughts about things you cannot control. Instead invest your energy in the positive present moment.

3. Don't over do. Keep your limits. (Best advice EVER.)

4. Don't take yourself so seriously. No one else does. (Ain't that the truth!)

5. Don't waste your precious energy on gossip.

6. Dream more while you are awake. (I LOVE this one.)

7. Envy is a waste of time. You already have all you need.

8. Forget issues of the past. That will ruin your present happiness.

9. Life is too short to waste time hating anyone. Don't hate others.

10. Make peace with your past so it won't spoil the present.

11. No one is in charge of your happiness except you.

12. Realize life is a school, and you are here to learn. Problems are simply part of the curriculum that appear and fade away like algebra class, but the lessons you learn will last a lifetime.

13. Smile and laugh more.

14. You don't have to win every argument. Agree to disagree.

Blog Linkage - I have three excellent posts for you to check out today.

1. Click on Coal Creek Farm under My Blog List. Scroll down to the post entitled "Dancing and eating should always happen together" dated January 11. This chick cracks me up. The funny part is how her children react to the dancing. I love it when she dances!

2. Click on Confessions of a Pioneer Woman. At the top of her page, click on Photography. She had a "Food Photography" contest. The pictures will make your mouth water. They are beautiful. (And I'm not kidding. Make sure you have a sandwich or something handy to nibble on while you scroll through these photos.)

3. Go to www.thesimplewife.typepad.com to read about the 38 year-old woman I told you about last week. She's an author, a mom, a wife, a homeschooler, a blogger, etc. On the morning of January 12, she had a massive stroke. Her husband and friends are now updating her blog. As I said last week, it helps you keep your focus on making today the best day it can possibly be because we have no idea what the future holds. Also, the family's faith in God and their testimony is inspiring.

Casablanca Date

I want you to know even though I'm a HUGE advocate of dating your children one-on-one, I'm also a HUGE advocate of continuing to date your husband throughout the "kid years." HUGE!

So this date is for the sweethearts out there. This information was borrowed from Birmingham Bargain Mom. It's a great idea!

Are you looking for a vintage twist on your Valentine's Day celebration? How about taking your sweetie to the Alabama Theatre to see Casablanca February 13 at 7:00 p.m.

Tickets are $7 each.

Tickets to the 1942 romance will be available in advance in the Alabama Theatre business office Monday through Friday 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. or at the box office 1 hour before showtime.

I'm letting you know about this in January, so you have PLENTY of time to plan for this date (babysitters, dinner reservations, etc.)

Mikie and I saw Casablanca at the Alabama Theatre when we were dating 55 years ago. It was so much fun.

Try it! You'll like it!

Have a lovely Thursday. I'll be back first thing Friday morning with Weekend Happenings, Randomness and pics in The Gallery.

Take care, and I'll talk to you tomorrow.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, I am out of the loop. Why is Roxie having surgery??

~dawn

Belinda said...

She has a broken bone in her finger (basketball injury). The fragment of bone is beside the regular finger bone. They are going to have to use a wire to pin it back in place. It will heal in about six weeks (like a regular fracture), and there will not be any permanent damage.

The doctor said she could finish out the season, and we're scheduled to see the surgeon the first week of February.

roakley said...

ok, several comments so hang with me.

First, Daniel and I were talking about Austin on anesthesia just yesterday (the second comment will explain why.) I laugh every time I think of the octopus story. Daniel says Austin on anesthesia equals cussing.

Second, I thought of you yesterday when Allen was in ER. I know, I should have been focused on him…... but since they could not determine what was wrong (we had to see his doctor for that), and since he wouldn't calm down, they gave him ATIVAN. Well, I knew then they thought he was having a panic attack. I, of course, told them that this was very out of character for him and the he was usually a very calm person. i came close to asking them wouldn't they be a little panicky if THEY couldn't breath? Well, the ATIVAN made him very loopy and all the way home he kept rubbing my arm and telling me, "I love you," You are a good wife," Thank you for being here with me," "I love you,"….etc. I told him, "Joseph is going to want video." Well, his reaction to the drug made me think of Austin and that ties back to the first comment.

Third, are you trying to one up us with Roxie's finger? Daniel will not be peer pressured into having surgery! JK I hope all goes well and I think she need two surgery outfits -- one to go in and one to come home in. haha

RO

Belinda said...

Since Daniel said "Austin on anesthesia equals cussing," Austin must have told him the part of the story I decided to leave out. (It's really the best part, but it is definitely PG.)

I wish/hope you did get a video of Allen in his "Ativan" state of mind. It could come in handy one day.

If Daniel is willing, I will try to set up a "twofer" with the finger surgery. (He's in charge of buying his own surgery outfit.) Thankfully, Roxie only looks at the pics on A Simple Life, so unless you bump into her at church, she will NEVER hear your suggestion about TWO sugery outfits. NEVER!

I pray Allen is better today, and continues to improve every day. (But most of all, I hope you get to celebrate your birthday the way it should be celebrated when he gets back on his feet. Dinner and movie, Baby! Dinner and a movie.)

Friday...

Friday...
Finally, some new basketball action shots.

The JV team had two 40-minute games Friday, so I thought I would just go ahead and start filming now!

And here's the obligatory Bryant Tuggle pic. He's a HUGE supporter of our baskeball team. Always has been... always will be. Well, until he gets his own driver's license!

Saturday...

Saturday...
We spent the day with the cousins Saturday. Monica, Amy, Roxie and I shopped at Brookwood, ate at Yolo's and went to the movies (Pirates 4). It was a great day, but the best part was our celebrity sighting...

That's right! Will Ferrell! (Please feel free to use your imagination. I know we did!)

Sunday...

Sunday...
Mikie's 50th Family Birthday Celebration! Everyone knows 50 year-old men LOVE the Green Lantern...and their wives really like Ryan Reynolds! (How cool would it be to have your picture on a birthday party plate package? Another goal, perhaps?)

What do you give a 50 year-old guys for his birthday? Cards... filled with money, Ricky Skaggs' concert tickets, a True Grit DVD and a Red Devil's Food Cake with Divinity Icing (from his Mom). It was a very good day!

Lovely Melia gave him the True Grit DVD. (I LOVE that movie!)

And it wouldn't be a birthday without a hug from Roxie!