Good Friday morning!
The Gallery Pics are more pics of Roxie and friends. I ran a little short this week, so Roxie and her friends were more than willing to be photographed. Yet another difference between guys and gals!
My Dentist Story - Part 48 - I'm just kidding. This hasn't really been going on since part of my tooth fell out the first of December while I was eating a roast beef sandwich. Oh, but wait. It HAS been going on since the first of December. And guess what? It still isn't finished!
After I had my bone scraping surgery (or bone lengthening, as they like to call it because it doesn't sound as painful), I had to wait SEVEN weeks for them to dismiss me because it wasn't healing properly. (I'm a whiner AND a slow healer. That's a bad combo.) Finally, on February 2 I was released to go to my original dentist to get an impression for my permanent crown. Yesterday I had my appointment with my original dentist. It went something like this...
The Numbing Process - "How painful is this part going to be?" I asked the hygienist.
"Oh. Not too bad. We're going to numb you up."
"I do better when you put me to sleep."
"Well, we don't do that for crowns." Hmmm. I was going to have to use my "I can still feel my face" trick to get enough Novocaine to make sure I didn't feel anything. But I messed up. I made yet another rookie mistake. (When will I stop doing that?)
While the dentist was giving me the painful numbing shots, he asked me, "Is that enough Novocaine?"
And get this! This is how I answered that VERY important question. "It's never enough." What? Where did that come from? Did that actually come out of my mouth? The correct response for the question is, "No. I can still feel everything." My answer sounded light and a bit funny. He left the room. I needed at least five more shots! Rookie, rookie mistake.
I'm Not Doing This Again - When the dentist came back in to "begin" the procedure, I told him, "If I lose another tooth, I am not going through this again. What are my options?"
"Well. We would have to pull your tooth." At this response, I was nodding my head up and down in agreement. That's fine. It wasn't a front tooth. It was WAY in the back. It would never show. I could have a partial. Just yank the rest of that baby OUT. But then he finished his thought. "And then we would have to put in an implant."
What? An implant! I can assure you that was never going to happen. "Okay. Just forget that. We'll figure something else out when the time comes."
Drilling - At this point, it was now time to drill. I didn't feel numb enough for the drill, but he assured me I was. He drilled and drilled and drilled some more. At one point he told me to close my eyes because there was a lot of metal pieces coming out of my mouth (from my old filling). That's all I needed. I would finally be able to leave the dentist only to go to the eye doctor to have shrapnel removed from my eye.
He took his hands out of my mouth. I thought the drilling was over. My extremely tense body relaxed, and I opened my eyes. "Okay. Let's get back in there and finish up." Great. He was just resting his hand. My entire body jumped back into Extremely Tense Mode, and he finally finished.
I closed my mouth. Something was wrong.
Hiding the Filling - There was something rather large and pointy in my mouth. I had two options. I could swallow whatever the foreign object was and hope it wasn't a piece of the drill, OR I could turn my head and try to get it out myself without the dentist or the hygienist seeing it. (Telling the dentist wasn't an option because I didn't want any more drilling.) I chose the wrong option. I should have swallowed.
I turned my head, fake coughed and caught a pretty large piece of what used to be my filling in my hand. "What was that?" the dentist asked.
"What was what?" I countered.
"What is in you hand?"
"Nothing." I know. I know. I lied. It was wrong. I was hopped up on Novocaine. (That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.)
"Can I see it, please?" I slowly opened my hand revealing the piece of filling. "Open your mouth. I may need to drill again to smooth that out."
I reluctantly obeyed. (Before we go any further, I remember having thousands of conversations like the above with each of my three kids... when they were TWO YEARS-OLD.)
Thankfully, no smoothing was necessary, and the rest of the procedure went quickly. Not painlessly, but quickly.
Feeling Returns - Usually I'm numb for HOURS after a procedure. Not so when you only get the NORMAL amount of numbing medication. I went in at 10:00 a.m. and by 12:43 p.m., I had full feeling back in my face. This was not good. This was not good at all.
And the kicker is... I get to do it again at 10:00 a.m., Thursday, March 25.
Just a little something to look forward to during the month of March!
RANDOMNESS - I have another "little" excerpt to share from Coffee Cup Friendship & Cheesecake Fun by Becky Freeman. I've heard this story before in different places, but I love hearing it again and again. Especially the last two sentences.
Friends to the Finish Line
A few years ago at the Seattle Special Olympics, nine contestants, all physically or mentally disabled, assembled at the starting line for the 100-yard dash.
At the gun, they all started out, not exactly in a dash, but with a relish to run the race to the finish and win. All, that is, except one little boy who stumbled on the asphalt, tumbled over a couple of times, and began to cry.
The other eight heard the boy cry. They slowed down and looked back.
Then they all turned around and went back.
Every one of them.
One girl with Down syndrome bent down and kissed him and said, "This will make it better."
Then all nine linked arms and walked together to the finish line.
Everyone in the stadium stood, and the cheering went on for several minutes. People who were there are still telling the story.
Because deep down we know this one thing: What matters in this life is more than winning for ourselves. What matters in this life is helping others win, even if it means slowing down and changing our course.
Those little children knew the secret to being a good friend.
50 Ways to Tell Your Child "I Love You" - The last ten... for me. Remember, the book is called Faith Training, Raising Kids Who Love the Lord by Dr. Joe White. It is a great parenting resource.
41. Give your child something you like (your favorite sweatshirt, your dessert at dinner).
42. Worship together at home and at church.
43. Allow your son or daughter to go to work with you and be your helper.
44. Find extra work projects your child can do to to earn money.
45. Invite your child's friends over, build a mountain on a tray out of ice cream scoops and whipped cream (with all the toppings), and then eat it.
46. Plan a day each month that is your child's special day, and do the things he or she enjoys.
47. Be consistent in your discipline. Establish guidelines, and follow through with what you say you'll do.
48. Cook breakfast together on Saturday morning.
49. Mow the lawn occasionally when it's your child's turn.
50. If your child has a car, help him or her wash it.
Just a little food for thought... for me, too. We can NEVER spend too much time with our kids. Of course, balance is everything. Time with God, time with spouse, time with family, time with individual kids, time with kids and their friends, time with your friends. It can be a little overwhelming, and if you're like me, you're going to fail sometimes. That's why it is so important to write the dates in INK, make it a priority (just like work and dentist appointments), and no matter what happens, follow through on the commitment! That will SHOUT "I love you!"
Weekend Happenings
We are going all over the place this weekend, but with the weather being so beautiful everything we have planned should be a lot of fun.
Friday night Josh and a friend are going bowling and coming back to the house for a movie. Roxie and cousins will be spending the night with Grandmother. And Austin is coming home, but I don't know if there are any Friday evening plans yet. Sometimes he just likes to hang out a little after a busy week at school.
Saturday morning, Mikie and I are heading to Another Broken Egg. (Expect a restaurant review Monday morning.) We're looking forward to our breakfast date.
The rest of Saturday includes the Band Banquet (Austin and Melia), fishing (Mikie and Josh) and a birthday party (Roxie). My job is having everything on the kitchen table that is needed for those different activities. I hope I'm up to the challenge. (Oh, and I will be cleaning and gutting all the fish Mikie and Josh bring home... NOT.)
Sunday we're meeting for Sunday dinner (the pot roast that never materialized last weekend) and church... and, of course, The Amazing Race and Celebrity Apprentice. I'm thinking Sunday might be my favorite day of the weekend. We'll just have to wait and see.
Have a crazy fun weekend. Go on multiple dates! I'll have more St. Patrick's Day fun next week. My friend, Robin, has donated a St. Patrick's Day dessert recipe for Tuesday's post. It looks delicious AND easy AND green... the three main criteria for recipes used in the month of March.
Take care, and I'll talk to you Monday.
Sincerely,
The Enchanting (and Still Throbbing) Belinda
If you are new to A Simple Life, here's a little tip. There will ALWAYS be many, many pics at the end of each post. New pictures are added every day (Monday through Friday). If you want to get to the "picture" part of the blog, you have to keep scrolling down, down, down... but you will eventually find it! Thanks for visiting!
Thursday, March 4, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Friday...
Finally, some new basketball action shots.
The JV team had two 40-minute games Friday, so I thought I would just go ahead and start filming now!
And here's the obligatory Bryant Tuggle pic. He's a HUGE supporter of our baskeball team. Always has been... always will be. Well, until he gets his own driver's license!
Saturday...
We spent the day with the cousins Saturday. Monica, Amy, Roxie and I shopped at Brookwood, ate at Yolo's and went to the movies (Pirates 4). It was a great day, but the best part was our celebrity sighting...
That's right! Will Ferrell! (Please feel free to use your imagination. I know we did!)
Sunday...
Mikie's 50th Family Birthday Celebration! Everyone knows 50 year-old men LOVE the Green Lantern...and their wives really like Ryan Reynolds! (How cool would it be to have your picture on a birthday party plate package? Another goal, perhaps?)
What do you give a 50 year-old guys for his birthday? Cards... filled with money, Ricky Skaggs' concert tickets, a True Grit DVD and a Red Devil's Food Cake with Divinity Icing (from his Mom). It was a very good day!
Lovely Melia gave him the True Grit DVD. (I LOVE that movie!)
And it wouldn't be a birthday without a hug from Roxie!
3 comments:
I hate, hate, hate going to the dentist. I know hate is a stronge word - but it's really the only word that can describe my emotions for the dentist. I couldn't even read your descriptions without my back and shoulders getting tense. I feel your pain and pray that you'll have better future luck at the dentist.
Ok, let's see if I can get through this without being deleted.
On yesterday's love list, I don't believe you've done, or even thought about doing, number 34.
To today's edition, why didn't you say what you told me last night? That if you had to have an implant it sure wouldn't be in your mouth. That was a blog-worthy comment.
It really is amazing how you have drawn out a simple crown for FOUR months. And smooth move trying to "hide" the large as a nickel(?) filling fragment.
And I agree with your other comment you made to me this morning: "How did I ever have three VERY large children?"
And to today's love list:
#48 - yeah, right
#49 - rofl
#50 - who are you?
Love you.
Mike
Thank you for feeling my dental pain, Jennifer (unlike some people who actually live in the same house with me).
I'm going to post the Flip Burger website in bold on Monday's post in case people miss it in the Comment Section. Also, I'll let you know how I like those grits!
As for you, Mikie... I never said I DID #34, #48, #49 or #50. Those are suggestions I copied out of the book. I made that very clear.
And I didn't put the implant remark in the blog because children read the blog sometimes (Roxie's friends).
And that filling fragment WAS almost as big as a nickel.
But you're right. I don't know how on earth I had three HUGE children when I have a pain tolerance in the range of ZERO!
I've decided not to delete you today. (That's #51 on the list of how to say "I love you" without speaking any words.)
Post a Comment