Good Wednesday morning!
REMINDERS!
1. Belinda's Project 365 is still going strong. I haven't missed a day in 42 days. I'm smokin'.
2. Click on "Contest Rules" on my sidebar for info about the one-year anniversary of A Simple Life. My friend, RO, came up with a name for the contest... "What Not to Blog... A Blog Makeover" Contest. I like it, don't you? After you read the rules, enter the contest!
3. I've added two more Gallery Pics of Josh as a babe.
4. If you want to try a new chocolate cake recipe (that looks WONDERFUL), click on Big Mama under My Blog List and check it out. I love cakes that start with a cake mix. I'll be trying this one next week since we still have Butterscotch Bread Pudding in the fridge, but I wanted you to know about it in case you're supposed to make a chocolate cake from scratch sometime this weekend!
Wednesday Wisdom - Today's quotation is short, but accurate. "Autumn, the year's last, loveliest smile.” William Cullen Bryant. I couldn't have said it better myself.
Actually, I rarely say anything quote-worthy. I admire people who say things which will be repeated for generations to come. When I say, "I like autumn because there's a lot of pretty leaves, and I love pumpkins," I pretty much know 100 years from now that's not going to be on a calendar somewhere. I'm just thankful there are people who can eloquently express what I'm feeling.
Josh's Birth Day Story - Part Three
Bringing Joshua home from the hospital was much less traumatic than Austin's trip home. For one thing, we only had to drive to Gardendale rather than Cullman. For another, we were experienced parents now, having successfully raised an almost three year-old little boy. We knew what we were doing!
The addition of Joshua to our family went pretty smoothly. Austin was attentive and protective, and Joshua thought Austin was the most entertaining person around.
Until Roxie arrived, the first three years of Josh's life consisted of liking and doing anything and everything his older brother liked and did. "What's your favorite color, Josh?"
"Orange," he would reply... Austin's favorite color.
"What's your favorite food, Josh?"
"Pizza," he would reply... Austin's favorite food.
"What's your favorite animal, Josh?"
"Tiger," he would reply... Austin's favorite animal.
"This kid is never going to have a personality of his own," I complained to Mike one evening. "I don't know of one thing he likes that is different from Austin."
For some reason the closer it came for Roxie's arrival, Josh decided to become his own person. I watched him as he and Austin colored one day, both holding an orange crayon in their hands. Josh stopped coloring, and put the orange crayon down. He picked up a black one and slowly started coloring.
"What are you doing?" Austin asked, amazed.
"I like black," Josh replied without looking up. And as the week wore on, we discovered he liked macaroni and cheese better than pizza; and his favorite animal was a dinosaur and not a tiger; and his favorite superhero was Spiderman and not Batman. Once he got started, he definitely had a mind of his own. He still does.
I've never really thought of him as a "middle child." We've always told him how fortunate he is to be both a little brother AND a big brother. Roxie and Austin will never get to experience both. And he has the privilege of having a brother AND a sister. Roxie will never be able to say that!
There was a time I would have said, "Why Joshua? Why does Josh have to have this illness?" But because of his special placement in our family, right smack in the middle, it has become apparent after nearly four years that once again God knew exactly what he was doing.
When Josh first became sick, Austin was old enough (15) to physically help with Josh (sleeping in Josh's room at night from time to time, camping outside the bathroom for one or two hours at a time allowing me to get some much needed rest, playing with his friends who would come over but had to wait until Josh was able to come out of the bathroom... basically being a great big brother).
Roxie was young enough to understand her brother was sick (9), but still demand her time in the family and help us keep everything in perspective.
"That has nothing to do with OCD, Josh! You're just being a big old butt!" Music to my ears. Roxie helped keep everything "normal."
As I said last week, Austin was my total obsession and Roxie was my heart's desire. But Josh... Josh is my heart. He always has been. I understand him and he understands me. It doesn't mean I love him more because I don't. It's just part of God's wonderful plan. You may have one child or you may have 20 children... They all bring something different to the table.
And Josh brought a black crayon, a dinosaur and mac and cheese.
Cullman County Fair
I'm sorry about this one, guys. It slipped right past me. I remembered it being an October fair, but it is always held in September. Put this one down for next year (and I'll give you a bonus seasonal tradition today).
When we lived in Cullman, we went to the County Fair. It was similar to fairs held long ago. Yes, there were rides galore, food, entertainment, etc., but the exhibits were what made this fair special and a little old-fashioned (which is a good thing, I think).
Arts and crafts, quilts, produce, food and farm animals... a lot of farm animals. Every "thing" and every "animal" in competition for one thing, and one thing only... the blue ribbon. I was always mesmerized by the pigs and hogs. They were huge! And it always reminded me of Charlotte's Web. I was always secretly looking for a spider in the corner of the exhibit.
It has been many, many years since we attended, but it would make an excellent, fun fall tradition for you and your family. It is a fair in a very safe environment. For more information, you can check out their website at www.cullmancountyfair.org. (Run off the home page and keep it in front of your September calendar for 2010 so you won't miss this fun event next year.)
However, since we DID miss the fair, I'm going to offer the idea of attending a different fall festival each autumn season. This year's pick is...
Fall Colorfest
This fall festival is held the third weekend in October each year in Mentone, Alabama. It's hard to improve on Mother Nature's show this time of year, but Mentone folks give it a shot! Storytelling, sing-a-longs and dancing fill the crisp, cool air on Friday evening while children roast marshmallows around a huge bonfire. Saturday and Sunday are filled with live entertainment all day long, while local artists and craftsmen display their hand-crafted wares. The Saturday afternoon parade and activities on Little River add to the festive atmosphere. Their website is www.mentonealabama.org.
Pick an old-fashioned county fair or a fall festival at a different location each year to try. The main thing is to experience something you might have done as a child with your own kids. And, as always, to spend time, time, time enjoying everything Alabama has to offer during this wonderful time of year.
Have a great Wednesday! Don't forget to enter the contest. Don't forget tomorrow is our day for Weekend Family Fun and a date. Don't forget Survivor is on tomorrow night. Don't forget to make plans (in pen) this weekend with family and friends.
Take care, and I'll talk to you tomorrow.
Sincerely,
The Enchanting Belinda
If you are new to A Simple Life, here's a little tip. There will ALWAYS be many, many pics at the end of each post. New pictures are added every day (Monday through Friday). If you want to get to the "picture" part of the blog, you have to keep scrolling down, down, down... but you will eventually find it! Thanks for visiting!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Friday...
Finally, some new basketball action shots.
The JV team had two 40-minute games Friday, so I thought I would just go ahead and start filming now!
And here's the obligatory Bryant Tuggle pic. He's a HUGE supporter of our baskeball team. Always has been... always will be. Well, until he gets his own driver's license!
Saturday...
We spent the day with the cousins Saturday. Monica, Amy, Roxie and I shopped at Brookwood, ate at Yolo's and went to the movies (Pirates 4). It was a great day, but the best part was our celebrity sighting...
That's right! Will Ferrell! (Please feel free to use your imagination. I know we did!)
Sunday...
Mikie's 50th Family Birthday Celebration! Everyone knows 50 year-old men LOVE the Green Lantern...and their wives really like Ryan Reynolds! (How cool would it be to have your picture on a birthday party plate package? Another goal, perhaps?)
What do you give a 50 year-old guys for his birthday? Cards... filled with money, Ricky Skaggs' concert tickets, a True Grit DVD and a Red Devil's Food Cake with Divinity Icing (from his Mom). It was a very good day!
Lovely Melia gave him the True Grit DVD. (I LOVE that movie!)
And it wouldn't be a birthday without a hug from Roxie!
1 comment:
Ok, count me in on the contest! My faves are the pics of the kids and especially the updates on "the boy". I guess this is all very close to happening in our family, so I'm very interested to see "how to do it" and I must say---you've done it well!
Love the birthday weeks! Love the new 365 blog, too! See ya!
Post a Comment