Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Boo at the Zoo Date

Good Thursday morning!

ANNOUNCEMENT! ANNOUNCEMENT! - Roxie made the second cut on the basketball team. We find out tomorrow night if she makes it officially. Very, very exciting!

The Gallery Pics include two more of Josh as a toddler. He just got cuter and cuter, didn't he?

And I found an old picture taken of me in the early 80s. A lot of hair and a polyester blouse (which, by the way, I like much better than all the spandex in all the clothes today). If I wanted every crease, bulge and bump to show in an ever-so-tight spandex shirt or blouse... Well, I would have worn it in the 80s when I didn't have creases, bulges and bumps. That being said, I thought it was kind of funny.

What Not To Blog... a Blog Makeover Contest - No pressure here, but I've had several entries so far. Look at my sidebar and click on Contest Rules for info about entering.

Austin Update

We had a good time at JSU this past weekend. The band does a completely patriotic show, which is so needed at this time in our nation's history. It will literally make you cry.

And then after you cry for a few minutes, the band starts dancing a little while they play a fast patriotic song, and seeing Austin dancing makes me laugh. Don't get me wrong. He dances like me and Mikie. He dances with abandon if not with much grace! The main thing is he loves being a Marching Southerner. Loves it! And he was more than thrilled when his high school band director and his wife came to the game Saturday. They are JSU Alum and Mr. S even served Austin a bottled water in the stands. It's great to make new friends and begin a new life... but old, familiar friends are the best, aren't they?

He joined a lot of activities the first three weeks of school... college newspaper, Baptist Campus Ministry Praise Team, Baptist Campus Ministry intramural football team, etc. These things, in addition to his classes and Southerner schedule (and playing pick-up racquetball games and ultimate frisbee games on the quad) left him a little tired at the end of the day. Hmmm. I wonder why?

Anyway, without any coaxing from me, he has put the Praise Team on hold until after football season (not Bible Study, but Praise Team and Praise Team practice) and he's not going to continue with intramural football because he always has to leave the game early to make it to Southerner's practice. Two good things, but things that were leaving him more "tired than inspired," if you get my drift.

So now he's a newspaper reporter averaging one to two articles a week in the newspaper, taking his classes (and doing well), attending Bible Study on Tuesday nights, practicing every night with the Southerners, and playing ultimate frisbee and racquetball whenever the opportunity arises. That's a pretty full week.

College life seems to be agreeing with him for the most part. However, when he comes home for the weekends, it is so nice because it feels like he never left. We fall back into the same rhythm we had as a family before he rode off into the sunset in the little red pick-up truck. I know that will change over time. I'm just glad it's a transition for us (Code for ME), and it's not all at once. My already-fractured heart couldn't take a complete break. (I mean, it probably could, but I doubt I would be very pleasant to live with... right, Mikie?)

He's happy, and I'm happy that he is happy...

But I miss him... and he needs a haircut.

Weekend Family Fun

Again, the first two items were taken from the Bargain Mom website. I'll give it to you once again. She has many, many things to offer (bargain-wise) each week for you and your family. It's a must-check website! Go to http://blog.al.com/bargain-mom... TODAY!

McWane Science Center - The McWane Center is having a Dino Day October 12 to celebrate Columbus Day and the children being out of school. With the price of admission you'll get to participate in the following:

Fossil making
Pasta skeletons
Coloring contests
Dino egg hunt throughout the museum

Plus, you'll get to see a giant Tylosaur skull.

Roam the Alabama Dinosaur exhibit and dig up prizes in the dig pit. There will also be a children's book character, Danny's Dinosaur, from the book Danny & the Dinosaur for storytime in Just Mice Size.

Dress up in dinosaur clothes and get a prize.

Go to www.mcwane.org for more information.

Of course members get in free. Non-member admissions are $11 for ages 13 to 64; $8 for ages 3 to 12 and seniors 65 and older; and 2 and under are free. That's the price for the museum only, it doesn't include IMAX movies.

My guys would have LOVED this when they were little. What a fun way to spend a day out of school.

Oak Mountain - Oak Mountain State Park's Alabama Wildlife Center will host the Audubon Teaches Nature 2009-2010 series.

The series features the park's natural history and the beauty of central Alabama. Each program begins at the Alabama Wildlife Center with refreshments and ends with a nature walk within the park, so be sure to bring binoculars, cameras, hiking shoes and field guides.

The classes will be once a month at 1:30 p.m. in the Alabama Wildlife Center. You will meet in the front observation room for cider and cookies. The program begins at 2:00 p.m.

Here's the schedule:

October 18 - An Introduction to the Spiders of Alabama
November 15 - Nature Photography - Capturing Birds and Critters in Photographs
January 17 - Birds on Parade - Close Encounters with Alabama’s Birds of Prey
February 21 - Caves and Cave Life - All About Alabama’s Underground Wonders
March 28 - Return of the Spring Migrants - Catching the Yucatan Express
April 11 - The Confederate Daisy in Alabama
May 23 - Swamp Life at Ebenezer

The Alabama Wildlife Center is located at 100 Terrace Drive inside Oak Mountain State Park. Admission for this activity is free after Oak Mountain State Park admission which is $3 for adults; $1 for children 6 to 12; and $1 for senior citizens 62 or older.

Grand Ole Pumpkin Patch - I have a website for you to go to if you're interested in trying a different pumpkin patch this weekend. It's not too far away in Clanton, Alabama. They have a very good website with pictures, prices and times of operations. Go to www.grandolepumpkinpatch.com.

The best thing about a pumpkin patch located in Clanton is when you are finished, you can go to Peach Park and enjoy some homemade ice cream or even a wonderful barbecue lunch or dinner before heading home. (Their barbecue is excellent!) It would make a wonderful fall day trip for you and your family.

Boo at the Zoo Date

Take your date for a fun evening at Boo at the Zoo. There is so much to do. Of course, this is a great thing to do with the entire family, but depending on the kids' ages and your budget, you can take the oldest this year, and the remaining kids in the years to come. One-on-one time at an event like this is very relaxed when there is just one child to watch and experience the Birmingham Zoo at night.

Here are some of the activities offered at Boo at the Zoo:

Ride every ride with the new “All-You-Can-Ride” $10 wristband
Trick or Treat Ghost Town
Grave Yard Express (two trains operating to make sure lines move fast)
Ghoul Skool
The Mad Scientist's Loco Laboratory
Children's Zoo Watering Hole
Animal Shows
The Misadventures of Sheriff Shortstuff (an interactive theatrical production in the Auditorium
Alien Reptile Experience in the Reptile House
The Not-So-Scary Hallows Hayride
Freaky Fun House
Ghost Rollers

Wear your favorite costume for the 18th Annual Boo at the Zoo. Ride the Grave Yard Express, Ghastly Carousel and Ghost Rollers. Enjoy live entertainment each night in the auditorium with a one-of-a-kind performance called The Misadventures of Sheriff Shortstuff. And don’t forget to walk through the new Alien Reptile Experience in the Reptile House!

Animal exhibits will be closed for Boo at the Zoo. The Zoo will close at 4:00 p.m. on each day of Boo at the Zoo.

All tickets are $7 (includes tax) for both members and non-members.

There is an additional cost for Ghoul Skool, Grave Yard Express, The Misadventures of Sheriff Shortstuff, The Not-So-Scary Hallows Hayride, Freaky Fun House and Ghost Rollers. (This is another good reason to make it a one-on-one date. You'll be able to participate in more of the activities if you aren't paying for two, three, four or more other people. A date would be much more affordable for this activity.)

For dates and times, go to www.birminghamzoo.com.

Have a great Thursday. Tomorrow we'll check on the Weekend Happenings of the Faulkner Five... it won't be quite as busy as last week (I hope). I'll have a book for your perusal (good word), and a few more pics of this and that and Josh. Oh, and I almost forgot... TV Reviews (Survivor and Amazing Race).

Take care, and I'll talk to you Monday.

Sincerely,

The Ever-Enchanting Belinda

1 comment:

Blessed Beyond Belief said...

Peyton and I were wondering this morning if Roxie had made the second cut. He was convinced that she had because, to quote him, "Mama, she is really a good player!" So our prediction is that she will make it! Best of luck Roxie!! I think your blouse is beautiful because I believe I have one just like it from the 80's! All that stuff will come back and then we will be right in style! LOL

Friday...

Friday...
Finally, some new basketball action shots.

The JV team had two 40-minute games Friday, so I thought I would just go ahead and start filming now!

And here's the obligatory Bryant Tuggle pic. He's a HUGE supporter of our baskeball team. Always has been... always will be. Well, until he gets his own driver's license!

Saturday...

Saturday...
We spent the day with the cousins Saturday. Monica, Amy, Roxie and I shopped at Brookwood, ate at Yolo's and went to the movies (Pirates 4). It was a great day, but the best part was our celebrity sighting...

That's right! Will Ferrell! (Please feel free to use your imagination. I know we did!)

Sunday...

Sunday...
Mikie's 50th Family Birthday Celebration! Everyone knows 50 year-old men LOVE the Green Lantern...and their wives really like Ryan Reynolds! (How cool would it be to have your picture on a birthday party plate package? Another goal, perhaps?)

What do you give a 50 year-old guys for his birthday? Cards... filled with money, Ricky Skaggs' concert tickets, a True Grit DVD and a Red Devil's Food Cake with Divinity Icing (from his Mom). It was a very good day!

Lovely Melia gave him the True Grit DVD. (I LOVE that movie!)

And it wouldn't be a birthday without a hug from Roxie!