Good Thursday morning!
The Gallery Pic today is completely and totally SPRING! I know. I know. We may have a blizzard next week, but today it is warm and breezy and oh, so springy.
RANDOMNESS #1 - Yesterday, Roxie and I went for her post-op appointment. You know. The little appointment where they check the part of your body they performed surgery upon, and tell you things look good, etc., etc.
Well, Roxie's appointment went a little differently. Her finger had been hurting off and on since last Thursday. The wound was clean, and she was changing the bandages twice a day as instructed. We couldn't figure out the source of the pain. It took the surgeon two seconds.
"Well, one of the pins is working itself out. That's causing the discomfort."
"Pain," I corrected. "Not discomfort. Pain." Medical professionals tend to think procedures don't hurt, and I feel it's my duty to tell them the truth.
True Story - When I was having my C-Section staples removed after giving birth to Austin, it was quite painful. The nurse told me I was NOT in pain... just a little discomfort. (They like to use the word "discomfort." A lot.)
However, as I was leaving the room, I picked up a nearby stapler, inserted a couple in her upper arm and asked her to let me know if removing them was "painful" or "slightly uncomfortable." I think I made my hormonal point.
DISCLAIMER - Okay. The first paragraph is true. The second paragraph is what I wish I had done. Oh, if I could turn back the clock...
But I digress.
The surgeon said the X-ray looked great, the bone was healing, and he was going to remove the pin that was causing the "pain." The other two pins were doing their job holding the bone fragment in place.
Okay. So I'm thinking a new scheduled appointment, IV, Loritab, etc., etc. Imagine my surprise when the doc takes a pair of eyebrow tweezers out of the drawer and holds Roxie's tiny, delicate hand in his.
"WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" I calmly asked... in a very loud voice.
"This won't hurt, and it just takes a second," he responded without looking at me.
And before I had time to turn my head, he pulled the wire/pin/metal object holding Roxie's finger together out... right in front of me. I have to admit... it was more than a little traumatic.
"Roxie, are you okay?" I weakly asked.
"Yes. It feels much better now. And it didn't even hurt. It felt funny... but it didn't hurt," she replied. "Are you okay?"
"I don't know. I can't stop shuddering, and my hands are shaking... and I flushed all of your left over Loritab down the toilet. This is bad. This is real bad."
"Maybe we can get him to write you a prescription," she said.
Yeah. That's the ticket. I need a prescription because my daughter had a tiny wire removed from her finger. It's good when someone understands you!
We kept the wire/pin/metal object for Show and Tell later. (I wanted Mikie to know how brave I had been.) I also made a mental note of which parent was taking her to her next pin removal... and his name starts with "DAD."
RANDOMNESS #2 - Chick-Fil-A is now serving a Banana Pudding Milkshake. I feel it is my responsibility (nay, my DUTY) to inform you of this fact. Let me know what you think!
RANDOMNESS #3 - I have a blogging friend who lives in Michigan. She has a Project Life Blog, too. I noticed she had a picture of a Shamrock Milkshake from McDonald's as one of her Pictures of the Day. I had not seen that on our menu board, so I called the two closest McDonald's to my house, and guess what? They are NOT serving Shamrock Milkshakes.
I Googled the McDonald's Shamrock Milkshake recipe, and even though it isn't Tuesday (Recipe Day), I thought I'd share it with you so you could add it to your St. Patrick's Day menu.
You will need the following:
2 cups vanilla ice cream
1 1/4 cups low fat milk
1/4 teaspoon mint extract
8 drops green food coloring
Combine all ingredients in blender and blend on high until smooth. If needed, stop blender and stir with a spoon to help blend in ice cream. Makes 2 servings... or 1 if you don't want to share.
Your welcome!
RANDOMNESS #4 - One of my new friends, Kristel, left a comment yesterday regarding National Days in March. I left off one of the most important days. March 20... the First Day of Spring.
Kristel and her family are celebrating as follows:
1. They are having a Welcome Spring Party.
2. She is serving green cupcakes with candy flowers on top...
3. On flower-shaped plates...
4. With pink lemonade.
5. There will be paper/paint/glitter decorated kites hanging from the ceiling.
Sounds like an excellent party! Thanks for sharing, Kristel... and I'll be there around 6:00!
Blog Linkage - I have some interesting stuff to share today.
1. Click on eighteen25 under My Blog List and scroll down to the post entitled "I'm So Lucky" dated February 28, and "Lucky U" dated March 2. These posts show you how to make two very cute, inexpensive and fun St. Patrick's Day gifts for your kiddos. I loved them both.
2. Click on Nesting Place under My Blog List and scroll down to the post entitled "Gallery Walls." I love looking at these pictures of how people decorated their bare walls. Just beautiful. I thought you might get a kick out of it, too.
3. Go to www.myjobchart.com. I read about this website on eighteen25, and checked it out. It has wonderful ideas about getting your kids to help around the house, age-appropriate chores, rewards, charts, etc. If you have little ones, this would be a great place to start teaching them all about chores!
Enjoy!
Build a Kite Date
Beginning Saturday, March 12 through July 30, the Southern Museum of Flight will be hosting a Colorful Kite Tales Exhibit.
The Colorful Kite Tales Exhibition chronicles the colorful history and science of kites. These sixteen panels and an array of kites detail kite basics and historical kiting events.
After you and your date spend a little time looking at the exhibit, you can then hand-make your very own kite. Materials and directions will be available.
The exhibit and kite-making activity cost $7 per person.
The address is 4343 73rd Street North, Birmingham. They are open Tuesday through Saturday from 9:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m.
For more information, call 205-833-8226.
I haven't personally gone to this Exhibit or built a kite at the Southern Museum of Flight, but it does sound like fun, doesn't it?
NOTE - You can finish off the date with a Banana Pudding Milkshake at Chick-Fil-A! That's what I would do! Just saying.
Have a sunny Thursday. I'll finish the first week of March on Friday with Weekend Happenings, Randomness and a few more SPRING pics! I have to get them before the next hard freeze sets in!
Take care, and I'll talk to you tomorrow.
Sincerely,
The Enchanting Belinda
If you are new to A Simple Life, here's a little tip. There will ALWAYS be many, many pics at the end of each post. New pictures are added every day (Monday through Friday). If you want to get to the "picture" part of the blog, you have to keep scrolling down, down, down... but you will eventually find it! Thanks for visiting!
Thursday, March 3, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Friday...
Finally, some new basketball action shots.
The JV team had two 40-minute games Friday, so I thought I would just go ahead and start filming now!
And here's the obligatory Bryant Tuggle pic. He's a HUGE supporter of our baskeball team. Always has been... always will be. Well, until he gets his own driver's license!
Saturday...
We spent the day with the cousins Saturday. Monica, Amy, Roxie and I shopped at Brookwood, ate at Yolo's and went to the movies (Pirates 4). It was a great day, but the best part was our celebrity sighting...
That's right! Will Ferrell! (Please feel free to use your imagination. I know we did!)
Sunday...
Mikie's 50th Family Birthday Celebration! Everyone knows 50 year-old men LOVE the Green Lantern...and their wives really like Ryan Reynolds! (How cool would it be to have your picture on a birthday party plate package? Another goal, perhaps?)
What do you give a 50 year-old guys for his birthday? Cards... filled with money, Ricky Skaggs' concert tickets, a True Grit DVD and a Red Devil's Food Cake with Divinity Icing (from his Mom). It was a very good day!
Lovely Melia gave him the True Grit DVD. (I LOVE that movie!)
And it wouldn't be a birthday without a hug from Roxie!
4 comments:
FYI... Pat Dye will be at Aldridge Gardens this Saturday - 1-5 - talking about trees and selling his famous Japanese Maple Trees. I have no idea of the price - but thought I'd pass it along.
I'm looking forward to trying the new banana pudding milkshake next week. The chick fil a lady (marketing rep) from our Eastwood store always shares new products with our residents and staff and we'll be passing out samples next week.
Also - yesterday was Dr. Suess' Bday. Most schools still celebrate with green eggs and ham. And the big one - Mardi Gras or Fat Tuesday or Shrove Tuesday (whichever you call it) is Tuesday, March 8th. Celebrate with cajun food or a Pancake dinner. We do both in our house!
I forgot to mention - March 14th is Pi Day as in Pi = 3.1415926535…
Celebrate with - what else - Pie! Since it's spring break - I'm bringing my kids to work and we're making mini pies with elders in The Cottages. I'm not much of a pie baker - but here's a link to the cutest little mini pies.
http://www.ourbestbites.com/2009/07/star-studded-mini-pies.html
Have I mentioned that I share your zeal for celebrating "anything"! Makes life more fun!
Belinda, I haven't missed a Simple Life post since you spoke at our Girls' Night last month! And now I feel like a celebrity. Wow! Quoted on your blog! If I had a resume, I'd list this! :-) I love the Kite Exhibit...that's a great Date idea! Thank you for sharing! Oh-and we're doing several fun spring activities, but one that I'm especially looking forward to is from Family Fun Magazine this month. It's planting grass in a baking dish and making "roads" in the grass for children to play. I can imagine my 4 year old with her tiny prince & princess figurines playing hide-n-seek in the grass! I can't wait!
Hey, Jennifer... I'll add those celebration days tomorrow (using your name, of course). Especially "Pi" Day. I love that one.
And I'll call the Gardens, and see if they have prices on the trees. I'm going to get Josh to check today, too. He starts his job at Classic.
Don't you just love Chick-Fil-A? They are so community-oriented. It's such a good company.
Kristel... I always appreciate the input. I saw the "grass roads" in Family Fun. That does look like fun for little guys.
If you have anything else to share, just leave it in the Comment Section, and I'll post it with your name the next day.
Thanks, guys.
Post a Comment