Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Continue to Build a Strong Foundation for Tweens and Teens

Good Wednesday morning!

The Gallery Pics continue to tell the story of our weekend Mountain Trip. Enjoy... or endure! I guess it depends on your attitude today!

RANDOMNESS #1 - The Boy (Austin) is 20 years-old today. This is significant for several reasons.

1. I have now been a mother for two decades. I feel I should be full of wisdom, but alas, that does not appear to be the case.

2. Austin is excited about being 20. Some might say ecstatic. I remember being excited about turning 20. It was almost 30 years ago.

3. Because my firstborn is now 20 years-old, it means I am now officially older than most dirt. It's a very sobering thought.

4. I am also older than the wheel and fire.

5. Even though I forget many things, and I'm distracted beyond measure most days, I can remember that day 20 years ago like it was yesterday. I remember his face, his little hands, the way his head smelled after his first bath... EVERYTHING! I miss that tiny little human... but I like the 6'4" giant he has become, too.

Happy Birthday, Austin! I'm coming to see you tonight... You lucky, lucky 20 year-old! And when I see you, I'm going to give you a big, fat "Happy Birthday" KISS! (Something to look forward to... or not.)

RANDOMNESS #2 - I know you thought I would NEVER finish the Mikie and Belinda story, but I'm going to go ahead and share the Engagement Story with you today. It's a little shorter, and since we're still in the midst of the Love Month, I feel I must.

Mikie and Belinda - The Engagement

As I told you a few days ago, Mike and I began dating in March of 1987, and we were engaged by August of that same year. It seems fast, doesn't it?

When we met with Dr. Carter for counseling two months into our "courtship," his advice to us was to date and be together for four seasons (an entire year) before becoming engaged. And he believed in a fairly long engagement, too. I think those were extremely wise words. It was his way of saying we needed to know each other, to become best friends, to see not only the good, but the bad as well.

Mike and I didn't dismiss his words, but we had already put in three years of being best friends. (That's 12 seasons!) We had seen each other's "ugly" side several times. We had both been in relationships with the wrong people, and we had no doubt we were with the person God wanted us to marry. No doubt at all.

That being said, Mike went ahead and spoke with my Dad in early August. I knew he had talked to him, and I knew Dad had given his blessing. Now, I just needed my ring.

Little birdies told me Mike had decided to forego the jewelry store engagement ring. Instead, he designed my ring himself. Little birdies also told me when the ring was ready, and that he had it in his possession. (Aren't girlfriends wonderful?)

Did I mention my birthday is in August. August 26. Considering it was only 22 days from the day he spoke to my Dad, it was a no-brainer. I should have gotten my ring on my birthday. But that was not how Mikie's mind worked. Birthdays, Christmas, Valentine's Day... too obvious. He wanted the surprise.

Every day for two weeks when he stopped by the apartment coming home from work, I was dressed to the nines. Make-up... totally redone. Hair... totally redone. Outfit... totally different from the one I had worn to work that day. Deodorant... totally reapplied. (I was a little nervous, and was having some flop sweat problems.)

Every day I would greet him at the door looking for ring box bulges. Nothing. Nada. Let's just say I was getting a little frustrated.

One night, he came in and I just pinned him to the door. "I want my ring. I have all the bridal magazines. I want to start making plans. I want to try on dresses. I want to pick out cakes. I want to register for china. AND I CAN'T DO IT WITHOUT THE RING!" I had totally lost it.

"I wouldn't give you the ring tonight if I did have it," he responded. "You're going to have to settle down a little." He smiled, gave me a peck and slipped out the door. (He had just seen a new "ugly" I had never revealed before. He had just seen a new "ugly" I didn't even know I had!)

After that night, I stopped dressing up every day. In fact, when I got home from work, I put on t-shirts and jeans, and didn't even brush my teeth or comb my hair before he arrived. I had lost the will to groom.

"How about coming over for dinner Saturday night before we go to the Sunday School party? I'll fix everything." I knew he was just trying to soften the blow that I wasn't going to get my ring until some time after my birthday... you know, for the surprise factor.

"Okay," I agreed half-heartedly.

I arrived wearing a T-shirt and jeans, minimal make-up and combed hair. I was clean. "Hey. I ran out of milk, and I need it for the mac and cheese. Do you mind running to the corner store and getting half a gallon for me?" Okay. This was a sure sign the ring wasn't in the picture. Mac and cheese? I had to get the milk?

"Okay," I agreed again half-heartedly.

When I returned, the table was set nicely, but not with candles. We sat down to eat, and I took the napkin off the center of the plate (which for some reason had a napkin ring around it), and in one swift movement slipped the napkin ring off and snapped my napkin and put it in my lap.

"NOOOOO!" Mike screamed.

"AHHHHH!" I screamed back, terrified. And then I heard it. A little ping, ping, ping sound. Mikie was on his knees covering the air conditioning vent on the floor beside the table. I was on my feet. "What's wrong? What's wrong?"

"You shot the ring out of the napkin. It kept ricocheting off of things, and I don't know if it went down the vent or not."

"AHHHHH!" I screamed again. By now, we were both on the floor looking for the ring and praying the last ping we had heard was not the ring bouncing it's way down the vent.

"I FOUND IT!" he yelled.

"LET ME HAVE IT!" I yelled back.

He wasn't actually on one knee as much as collapsed in a heap at my feet sweating profusely. "Belinda, will you please marry me? Just say 'Yes.' I can't take much more of this."

And that, my friends, is my ultra-romantic engagement story. The ring was (and is) beautiful, and I was thrilled. Mikie done good! (I know that's grammatically incorrect, by the way.)

And I never eat macaroni and cheese without smiling to myself and remembering that night a little over 22 years ago when I yelled, "Yes!"

Wednesday Wisdom - I heard some people quoting Ronald Reagan yesterday, and I liked what I heard. Here are some quotes from (in my opinion) a very wise President.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

Freedom prospers when religion is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged. (Amen!)

Heroes may not be braver than anyone else. They're just braver five minutes longer.

I have wondered at times what the Ten Commandments would have looked like if Moses had run them through the United States Congress.

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Continue to Build a Strong Foundation for Tweens and Teens

Over the last 600 or so posts, I've talked about having devotion time with your kiddos on a daily basis, in odd places, at birthday parties, etc., etc. Today I want to give you three specific resources to help you continue to add a strong spiritual foundation for your tween or teen to stand on during this difficult time in their lives. (And it is a very difficult time!)

Last night, our church hosted Tailgating With Pam Tebow, Celebrating God's Team: Faith, Family & Friends. I spoke with a couple of mothers this morning who attended this event with their teenage daughters. I've heard the word "amazing" describe this event by several friends on Facebook. Roxie and I were unable to attend the event, but as usual, it "got me to thinking."

As a Mom, my job is far from over. Even though Austin is 20, Josh is 17 and Roxie is 14, I have a lot of HARD work left to do, and now is not the time to get lazy or "zone out."

I'm going to urge all parents of tweens and teens out there (myself and Mikie included) to diligently look for and attend as many Christ-centered events as possible in the years to come.

And I'm not going to leave you hanging either. I'm going to tell you where these events can be found!

One excellent resource is the Birmingham Christian Family Magazine. Not only does it advertise special events like the one mentioned above, but it also has a monthly calendar with activities which may interest you and yours. The magazine is free and available at libraries, churches, etc. in the Birmingham area. There may not be something every month, but you can always check.

Another good resource is www.rickandbubba.com. Click on Events at the top of their website, and they have a list of activities which may interest you.

One more, and I'm done. We are blessed to have MANY large churches in our immediate area. You can contact any of these churches and ask if they have any concerts, conferences, special speakers, etc. in the coming months which would appeal to your tween or teen. (Shades Mountain Baptist, Church of the Highlands, etc., etc.)

As I have reminded myself just this morning, now is NOT the time to relax... now is the time to keep adding spiritual bricks to our children's foundation!

On Thursday, A Simple Life will have Blog Linkage, a date for you and your tween or teen (see above), more photos from the mountain trip and even more Randomness. Fascinating, I know!

Take care, and I'll talk to you tomorrow.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

2 comments:

Mike F said...

I still throw up a little in my mouth when I think about that ring almost going down the vent.

The world will always wonder what would have happened if it had. Would there still be a Mikie and Belinda? What about Austin, Joshua and Roxie? How could the world continue on without the Faulkner Five?

As Pooh would say, "Think, think, think".

It's been a good run, baby!

Belinda said...

Back then, I could have fit into an air conditioning vent. (Today... not so much!) I would most definitely have retrieved the ring!

I'm glad you asked me... FINALLY! And I know deep down, you would have eventually asked me out on your own. (We probably would have been in our 40s, but it would have happened.)

Friday...

Friday...
Finally, some new basketball action shots.

The JV team had two 40-minute games Friday, so I thought I would just go ahead and start filming now!

And here's the obligatory Bryant Tuggle pic. He's a HUGE supporter of our baskeball team. Always has been... always will be. Well, until he gets his own driver's license!

Saturday...

Saturday...
We spent the day with the cousins Saturday. Monica, Amy, Roxie and I shopped at Brookwood, ate at Yolo's and went to the movies (Pirates 4). It was a great day, but the best part was our celebrity sighting...

That's right! Will Ferrell! (Please feel free to use your imagination. I know we did!)

Sunday...

Sunday...
Mikie's 50th Family Birthday Celebration! Everyone knows 50 year-old men LOVE the Green Lantern...and their wives really like Ryan Reynolds! (How cool would it be to have your picture on a birthday party plate package? Another goal, perhaps?)

What do you give a 50 year-old guys for his birthday? Cards... filled with money, Ricky Skaggs' concert tickets, a True Grit DVD and a Red Devil's Food Cake with Divinity Icing (from his Mom). It was a very good day!

Lovely Melia gave him the True Grit DVD. (I LOVE that movie!)

And it wouldn't be a birthday without a hug from Roxie!