Wednesday, October 20, 2010

THREE Fall Traditions

Good Wednesday morning!

The Gallery pics are from Roxie's eyebrow waxing experience (riveting photography), and Josh's FIRST Choir Concert. He's a fine-looking specimen in a tux, isn't he? The concert was fun, and he thoroughly enjoyed participating (and Mikie and I enjoyed listening). We can't wait for the Christmas concert.

RANDOMNESS #1 - While pumping gas yesterday, I untwisted the hose a little and drenched the left side of my pants with gasoline. Needless to say, yesterday was not a smoking day for me. (Just kidding! Just kidding!) In reality, I refused to light any of my pumpkin candles the remainder of the day. "Why didn't you just change your clothes?" you may ask. Once I am dressed for the day, that's pretty much it for me. I don't re-think the day's ensemble, and I don't go back to the closet to change... unless barbecue stains, blood or mud is involved. That's my rule, and I'm sticking to it.

RANDOMNESS #2 - I spent some time at my doctor's office yesterday for my routine six-month visit. They have now improved, organized and streamlined the "doctor office visit" experience. Prior to yesterday's visit, I was in and out in one hour, but because of the efficiency now imposed, I spent three hours in that lovely place.

Fun fact for you... I have always had trouble with the "sample" portion of my doctor visit. I cannot go to the restroom on command. Now, I can go to the restroom every 15 minutes without fail when we're on a road trip, but something about being in a doctor's office and the sample being a requirement for me to be able to leave the doctor's office makes the process extremely difficult. Some would say impossible. But yesterday I was prepared!

I had a cup of coffee and TWO water bottles on the short drive to the doctor's office. I was going to fly through the "sample" portion of my visit. Fly, I tell you!

So imagine my disbelief at the new and improved "doctor visit routine." Two hours into the visit, I was finally dismissed for the "sample" and blood taking portion of my day. I walked the 1.2 miles through the labyrinth they call an office and found the Lab. I handed the sweet lady my sheet and she told me to go to a waiting room to be called for my blood work.

"That's fine. But I'll go ahead and give you my sample now, if that's okay."

"That's not marked on your form. You don't have to do the sample part today."

"I ALWAYS have to do the sample part... and since I've never been able to really give a sample, I kind of insist I be able to do that today." I was eyeing the plastic cups behind her and wondering if my new-found Zumba dexterity was enough for me to reach around and grab one before she called Security.

"Well, not today according to your sheet. You can walk back to your doctor's station and ask a nurse if she'll mark it for you."

Walking had become extremely difficult given the amount of liquid I had consumed two hours earlier. The thought of walking the 1.2 miles BACK to the doctor's station, and then walking 1.2 miles to the Lab AGAIN was very unappealing.

"Couldn't you just mark it? It's not like it's a big deal. I mean, the insurance company is going to pay for it, and if they don't, Mikie will."

"No, ma'am. We have a new system, and we must abide by those rules."

She had hit a nerve. I absolutely LOVE new systems... And the phrase "abide by those rules" is embroidered on three pillows in my house. She had me.

I walked/waddled/ran back to the doctor's station and MADE the receptionist mark the appropriate box. (I made a mental note of the box marked for future reference.) I walked/waddled/ran back to the Lab and threw the paper in the girl's face.

"My cup, please. NOW!" And after a quick perusal of my "marked box," she handed me the coveted plastic cup.

"YES! By the way... Your new system is really working for you... NOT!" And I was on my way.

Y'all have heard the phrase, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." I'm embroidering three new pillows today. Just saying!

RANDOMNESS #3 - I will be attending my second Zumba class tonight after church. I am preparing myself mentally and physically. I think there are three new friends joining us, so that will be fun. The class will be over at 8:40, and I expect to be in bed by 8:43. I am thankful I live so close to the Civic Center.

Wednesday Wisdom - Today's word is "peace." Many of the quotes I found equate "peace" with simplicity, quietness and organization. Hmmm. Very interesting!

"A smile is the beginning of peace." Mother Teresa

"Let loose of what you can't control. Peace will be yours." Anonymous

"It isn't enough to talk about peace, one must believe it. And it isn't enough to to believe in it, one must work for it." Eleanor Roosevelt

"Year by year the complexities of this world grow more bewildering, and so each year we need all the more to seek peace and comfort in joyful simplicities." Anonymous

THREE Fall Traditions

You may do all of these things with your preschool and elementary school field trips, but try these activities as a family. Every family has it's own pace... it's own rhythm. Take your time, and enjoy the day trying one or all of these simple, peaceful pleasures.

1. Make it a corn maze and hayride kind of day. What family wouldn't bond working together to find their way through a corn maze? Better yet, snuggle together under a blanket with a thermos of apple cider on an old-fashioned hayride. It is the simple activities that your child will cherish the most. And you can usually find both a corn maze and a hayride nearby during this time of year.

2. Take a family hike or biking trip. Fall is the perfect time to pull out your hiking boots or take the bicycles out of the garage. Nothing is more fun than spending time together as a family in nature. Take your time and really soak up the changes the environment is making this time of year. And don't forget to grab your camera and picnic basket on the way out the door.

3. It's a great time for bird watching. People of all ages enjoy watching birds, so why not make it a fall family tradition. Make a simple hanging bird feeder, using a pine cone, peanut butter and bird seed. Hang it on a tree outside your living room window. Give each person in your family their own set of binoculars and a notebook to record what they see. Enjoy your local birds together before they fly south for the winter. (Don't forget to take the binoculars and notebook on your family hike or bike ride.)

Have a wonderful Wednesday! Make today count. Call a hurting friend or family member. Let them bend your ear for a few minutes. Be kind to the people you come in contact with today. You never know what they are dealing with in their personal life. You may give them the only kind word they will receive today, October 20, 2010.

Thursday's Blog Linkage and Date will be fun, insightful and life-altering. Well, mostly just fun.

Take care, and I'll talk to you tomorrow.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

No comments:

Friday...

Friday...
Finally, some new basketball action shots.

The JV team had two 40-minute games Friday, so I thought I would just go ahead and start filming now!

And here's the obligatory Bryant Tuggle pic. He's a HUGE supporter of our baskeball team. Always has been... always will be. Well, until he gets his own driver's license!

Saturday...

Saturday...
We spent the day with the cousins Saturday. Monica, Amy, Roxie and I shopped at Brookwood, ate at Yolo's and went to the movies (Pirates 4). It was a great day, but the best part was our celebrity sighting...

That's right! Will Ferrell! (Please feel free to use your imagination. I know we did!)

Sunday...

Sunday...
Mikie's 50th Family Birthday Celebration! Everyone knows 50 year-old men LOVE the Green Lantern...and their wives really like Ryan Reynolds! (How cool would it be to have your picture on a birthday party plate package? Another goal, perhaps?)

What do you give a 50 year-old guys for his birthday? Cards... filled with money, Ricky Skaggs' concert tickets, a True Grit DVD and a Red Devil's Food Cake with Divinity Icing (from his Mom). It was a very good day!

Lovely Melia gave him the True Grit DVD. (I LOVE that movie!)

And it wouldn't be a birthday without a hug from Roxie!