Monday, September 13, 2010

Teenage Devotion Movie Night

Good Monday morning!

The Showcase Pic this week is from Roxie’s photo shoot Sunday afternoon. One of the joys of having a 13 year-old daughter is her ability to "get on board" if and when I utter the words, "Do you feel like taking some pictures today?" I love that about Roxie!

The Gallery Pics are from Grandparent/Senior Day celebrated at my Mom’s church in Trussville. Ken Lass was the guest speaker, and he was excellent. If you ever need a speaker for a church event, I would recommend him in a heartbeat.

I also added a couple more pics of Roxie and friends.

RANDOMNESS - Okay. I’m going to give you my list of 20 things I want to accomplish during Year Three of A Simple Life… but I’m only going to share five goals per day.

1. I want to zip line. As I mentioned in Friday’s post, I’ve already started the researching process, and if I decide to go the Fort Payne route, I’ll be making an appointment (or whatever they call it) by the end of the week for a time late October or early November. (If I’m going to be zip lining from tree to tree, I want them to be covered in gold, red and orange leaves.) Once I make the “appointment,” I will keep it! That’s right. I will not change my mind… unless there is lightning or flooding or pestilence involved. I mean, it wouldn’t really be a fun experience if there was lightning or flooding or pestilence. Memorable, but not fun!

2. I want to learn to drive the boat. I imagine this one will not be too hard, and I’m also planning on learning this skill in October. (That way, if I wreck the boat, we have a whole year to either have it fixed, OR save to buy a new one.) But I’m not planning on wrecking the boat. Really… I’m not.

3. I want to attend a Cirque du Soleil performance. Mike has been to one or two, but I want to see one before I’m 90, so I think this is the year to go. I know the shows are pricey, so I may have to go alone! Money is going into my Cirque du Soleil "envelope" as this post is going to press! (I've always wanted to say that!)And guess what? They are performing in Atlanta beginning November 4. And guess what else? The show's theme is "insects." Hmmm. Probably not my first pick, but I'm sure I'll learn something while I'm there. And if you've known me two minutes, you know I'm extremely interested in learning about bugs! (Really... not so much.)

4. I want to go camping alone with Mikie. It may sound selfish, but no kids AND no beagles will be allowed. We will wear the same clothes for three days straight (clean underwear, but the same outer garments), and we will ride into town at least two mornings to eat breakfast at Hardee’s. (We’ll go into town the FIRST two mornings because if we’re going to wear the same clothes all weekend, we’ll probably be pretty smelly by morning three.)

5. I want to publish an idea OR an article in Family Fun Magazine. Even though I have sent dozens (nay, hundreds) of ideas and/or articles to the magazine over the years (and they have not published ANYTHING), I feel this might be my year.

There you have it! The first FIVE activities on my To Do List. I’ll list another five in the morning. Hopefully, sharing the list will hold me accountable, and help me work toward these VERY IMPORTANT goals... or not!

Weekend Review

We had a BUSY weekend, but fun. As I predicted on Friday, the volleyball tournament took up Friday night and most of the day Saturday for Mikie, Roxie and me. Josh went bowling with a friend Friday evening, cut grass Saturday morning and made plans to attend the JSU game Saturday night. Austin prepared for the game Friday and Saturday, too, in his own horn-tooting way!

As it turned out, Roxie's tournament ended a little after 3:00 p.m., so Mikie called Josh before he left and they drove to JSU together to meet up with Grandmother, Aunt Bev, Katie and Zac.

Roxie and I headed home for a much needed rest. Roxie was exhausted from playing game after game after game of volleyball all day, and I was exhausted after watching Roxie play game after game after game of volleyball all day.

Mikie and Josh were not disappointed in the JSU outcome. Although the team waited until the last 40 seconds of the game to win, a "win is a win is a win."

Austin had gotten permission from his RA, so Josh spent the night in the dorm with his brother after a quick, but filling, trip to Taco Bell. They both had a good time, so they're planning their next overnight JSU visit.

Sunday morning, Roxie and I headed to Southside Baptist in Trussville, my "home" church, for Grandparent/Senior Day. Austin and Josh made it to the service driving in from JSU with seconds to spare! And poor Mikie stayed put to perform all of our "director-y" duties for the High School and Middle School Department. He's a saint, I tell you.

Since I have the aforementioned "dead snail" metabolism, around 3:00 o'clock I was fading fast. However, I had promised Roxie and a couple of friends a photo shoot, so "photo shoot" we did!

It was quite the weekend, but thoroughly enjoyable. (And I hope your weekend was great, too!)

Teenage Devotion Movie Night

Since I love movies and Faulkner Family Movie Night, I thought we could incorporate something really, really significant every now and again.

I LOVE Louie Giglio and his DVDs. They are interesting, thought-provoking, interest-keeping, scripture-based WONDERFUL DVDs. There are also several titles to choose from... How Great is Our God, Fruitcake and Ice Cream, Hope When Life Hurts Most, Indescribable, etc.

So if you have teenagers (and friends of your teenagers) over for a movie night, pop in one Mr. Giglio's DVDs. It's a ready-made family devotion!

Again... time well spent!

Have a lovely Monday. It’s the beginning of a brand new week. Anything could happen! Tuesday’s recipe is very, very good. I’ll also have five more items to share from my To Do List, as well as a couple more random thoughts.

Take care, and I’ll talk to you tomorrow.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

No comments:

Friday...

Friday...
Finally, some new basketball action shots.

The JV team had two 40-minute games Friday, so I thought I would just go ahead and start filming now!

And here's the obligatory Bryant Tuggle pic. He's a HUGE supporter of our baskeball team. Always has been... always will be. Well, until he gets his own driver's license!

Saturday...

Saturday...
We spent the day with the cousins Saturday. Monica, Amy, Roxie and I shopped at Brookwood, ate at Yolo's and went to the movies (Pirates 4). It was a great day, but the best part was our celebrity sighting...

That's right! Will Ferrell! (Please feel free to use your imagination. I know we did!)

Sunday...

Sunday...
Mikie's 50th Family Birthday Celebration! Everyone knows 50 year-old men LOVE the Green Lantern...and their wives really like Ryan Reynolds! (How cool would it be to have your picture on a birthday party plate package? Another goal, perhaps?)

What do you give a 50 year-old guys for his birthday? Cards... filled with money, Ricky Skaggs' concert tickets, a True Grit DVD and a Red Devil's Food Cake with Divinity Icing (from his Mom). It was a very good day!

Lovely Melia gave him the True Grit DVD. (I LOVE that movie!)

And it wouldn't be a birthday without a hug from Roxie!