Wednesday, July 21, 2010

History Mystery

Good Wednesday morning!

The Gallery Pics are a couple of not-so-good Ultimate Frisbee shots of Josh and friends. My new camera will be arriving soon (I hope! I hope!) Until then, my point and shoot will have to do! (I'm just sorry you're the ones who have to suffer!)

RANDOMNESS - Sunday morning, Bro. Mark preached an excellent sermon on "Grace." However, the scripture he used struck me as EXCELLENT verses to give to college students everywhere! I've already "given" it to Austin, and will continue to remind him of this verse throughout his college career. (I'm printing this verse on 3" x 5" cards for his truck, desk, bathroom mirror, closet door, etc., etc.)

"For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men. It teaches us to say 'No' to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age." Titus 2:11-12.

Am I right? Is this a great college verse, or what? I LOVE IT!

Wednesday Wisdom - On the way to Amelia Island, the kids watched Mikie's set of Johnny Carson videos. I wasn't sure if they would enjoy them or not, but they watched all three videos... one right after the other. So, in honor of Mr. Carson, I'm sharing some quotes from Mr. Late Night himself!

"If life were fair, Elvis would be alive and all the impersonators would be dead.”

“Married men live longer than single men. But married men are a lot more willing to die.” (I don't agree... But you have to admit, it is funny!)

“Happiness is your dentist telling you it won't hurt, and then having him catch his hand in the drill.” (This could be my favorite quote of all time!)

“I was so naive as a kid I used to sneak behind the barn and do nothing.”

I remember Johnny Carson's last show. Robin Williams and Bette Midler were his special guests that night, and they were wonderful... And late night television has never been the same. I miss him.

History Mystery

This would be a fun summer tradition to try. Google a few historical places close to your home. Once every two weeks or so, wake the kids up, load them into the van with snacks and clues and head for a new adventure. (Depending on the age of the kids, you can give them a map with the destination route highlighted. They can follow along and try to guess where the map will take them.)

Here are some ideas.

1. Go to the oldest restaurant in your local town (or a nearby city) for a special lunch. For example, LaCocina Mexican Restaurant is Birmingham's Oldest Mexican Restaurant. It is located at 2111 7th Avenue South. (I haven't been to this particular restaurant, so you may want to check it out before you take the kiddos.)

2. The Sixteenth Street Baptist Church in Birmingham, Alabama would make an excellent History Mystery destination. If the kids are middle school age children, you can read The Watsons Go To Birmingham by Christopher Paul Curtis aloud a few days before you take this little field trip. It's a very good book (and interesting) about a family who was visiting relatives the day of the bombing.

3. Visit the oldest church in Cullman, and then eat at the oldest restaurant in that fair city.

4. Visit Vulcan. Pack a picnic lunch and take time to walk through the museum. Make sure you get a Scavenger Hunt sheet before you take the tour.

5. If you have baseball fans, pack peanuts, popcorn and Cracker Jacks and head to Rickwood Field for pictures. It's the oldest ballpark in America.

6. Watch a movie at the Alabama Theater. Across from the Alabama, you can show the kids the Lyric Theater marquee. The Lyric is actually the oldest theater in Alabama. However, it has been vacant for over 50 years.

History, history, history. It is all around us. Summer could be a time when you have several History Mystery mini-trips each and every year. Use your imagination. Use your computer. Make it fun. Make it memorable. Your kids won't even know they're learning!

Have a fun Wednesday. Thursday I have some hilarious Blog Linkage and a fun date. Visit again if you get a chance.

Take care, and I'll talk to you tomorrow.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

2 comments:

Mike F said...

A few days is more like 36 days. But it'll be here before you know it! And oh, what a day it will be!

Belinda said...

But I want it NOW! (How do you indicate a whiney voice on a blog?) Waiting 36 days is like an eternity... Please, please give me my camera NOW!

Friday...

Friday...
Finally, some new basketball action shots.

The JV team had two 40-minute games Friday, so I thought I would just go ahead and start filming now!

And here's the obligatory Bryant Tuggle pic. He's a HUGE supporter of our baskeball team. Always has been... always will be. Well, until he gets his own driver's license!

Saturday...

Saturday...
We spent the day with the cousins Saturday. Monica, Amy, Roxie and I shopped at Brookwood, ate at Yolo's and went to the movies (Pirates 4). It was a great day, but the best part was our celebrity sighting...

That's right! Will Ferrell! (Please feel free to use your imagination. I know we did!)

Sunday...

Sunday...
Mikie's 50th Family Birthday Celebration! Everyone knows 50 year-old men LOVE the Green Lantern...and their wives really like Ryan Reynolds! (How cool would it be to have your picture on a birthday party plate package? Another goal, perhaps?)

What do you give a 50 year-old guys for his birthday? Cards... filled with money, Ricky Skaggs' concert tickets, a True Grit DVD and a Red Devil's Food Cake with Divinity Icing (from his Mom). It was a very good day!

Lovely Melia gave him the True Grit DVD. (I LOVE that movie!)

And it wouldn't be a birthday without a hug from Roxie!