Friday, April 16, 2010

Weekend Happenings

Good Friday morning!

The Gallery Pics are some volleyball practice shots of Roxie in the front yard yesterday. I think these are almost as funny as "sleeping teenager pictures."

RANDOMNESS #1 - I read another article in a magazine at the dentist's office the other day. (It was a different article from the Strawberry-Rhubarb Pie recipe.) It was about organization. The author suggested picking up 25 things and putting them away each night right before you go to bed. She even went one step further and said if you are 30 years-old you need to put away 30 items... and so on and so on.

I like the "25 Item Pick-Up" idea just fine. However, at 48 years of age, if I start picking up and putting away 48 stray items at 10:30 each and every night... well, it's going to be midnight before my head hits the pillow. "Do you have 48 stray items to put away at the end of every day?" you may ask.

Hey! Don't judge me! But I do think the 25 Item Pick-Up is a good idea, and I wanted to share.

RANDOMNESS #2 - I wanted to share a couple of paragraphs from the book I'm reading with my friend, Kim... Calm My Anxious Heart.

When I told a friend about my fears, she observed, "Linda, you like control, and there are too many 'uncontrollables' in your life." At the time, I didn't understand what she meant?

Looking back, I realize I did desire to trust God, but sometimes He was very slow. When He was moving at what I thought was a snail's pace, I unconsciously decided He needed my help. God doesn't need our help. Yet when I stepped in to massage (the truer word is "manipulate," but "massage" sounds better) the circumstances or to organize the people, my actions were saying, "God, You're not doing what I think needs to be done, so I'll help You out." It's our "helping God out" that leads to an anxious heart. When we take over and try to control what happens, we take our focus off the One who is in control and put our eyes on our circumstances.

I never knew when I started reading this book a few weeks ago, how much I would "need" it only a few days later. It's so hard to do... really giving up control, and letting God take care of everything. But it is so, so necessary, and not just when the "uncontrollables" take over, but ALL day, EVERY day.

Out of my three flaws, being a control freak is probably Number One. (I'm kidding. I have 42 flaws on a list hidden somewhere in the house. Mikie could probably add enough to the list to get it up to 73... but I haven't asked him for his help!) Also, if you're wondering, my second flaw definitely has something to do with being too prideful! Definitely!

REMINDER #1 - The Mystery Bag Party Contest Bowl is filling up! Get your name in there, Girls. I'll have a testimonial (hopefully) from one of the former Mystery Bag Party Girls on Monday or Tuesday of next week to inspire you!

REMINDER #2 - Keep on sending your questions for the big Q & A to be held on A Simple Life Monday, May 3. I'll answer your questions as honestly as I can without revealing too much damaging information about myself. Just send any questions via e-mail, Facebook or the Comment Section of the blog.

Weekend Happenings

Our weekend is not organized as of this writing. Austin is bringing a friend from JSU home for the weekend, and my only instructions thus far have been, "Fried pork chops, gravy and homemade mac and cheese, please." (Josh is loving this guy!) Okay. I can do that. I'm not sure, but I have a feeling much of my weekend will be spent cooking and baking... which is not a problem.

Roxie is spending time with a friend Friday evening, and other than that, I think the rest of us are just hanging around the house.

I still have a very strong urge to GO TO THE ZOO, and I have asked Roxie to go with me. She has agreed, but she's already asked if we could squeeze a shopping trip in BEFORE or AFTER the zoo (Code for I'D RATHER GO SHOPPING ALL DAY LONG).

One, two or three of the Faulkner Five will be attending the Magnolia Festival some time during the day Saturday, but I have no idea who or when. Like I said earlier... a very unorganized weekend. I'm trying not to let it drive me crazy!

Sunday, we'll attend church, eat one more meal with Austin and friend before they head back to school for Finals Week, and get ready for our Bible Study Groups which are all over the place Sunday night.

Sometime this weekend, I've got to make Austin's Finals Basket (which he is INSTRUCTED to share with his roommate), and I think I'm going to make his buddy from school one, too. (That means I have to go to Cracker Barrel to purchase a six-pack of his favorite creme sodas, and some fun candy he's never heard of before. I love putting weird things in the Basket. Fruit can be SO boring!) I had thought about putting an old John Wayne movie in the Basket for something different to watch when they want to take a break. You can't beat the classics! Oh, and some Rhubarb Upside-Down Cake. You can't have a really good Finals Basket without some rhubarb! (Unless Austin and Company have a good sense of humor, except for the creme sodas, this Basket could be considered really, really bad. We'll see.)

Since I can't give you a play-by-play of the weekend, I guess I'll have a lot to write about Monday morning!

Have a wonderful weekend. Next week, I have many NEW ideas to share, and they are ALL copied from people much smarter and more creative than The Enchanting Belinda. As is my custom, I will give them total credit. Maybe I'll be more organized and have a specific Topic of the Week... but that's a pretty big "maybe." HOPEFULLY, I'll have tons of zoo pics to share. If Roxie bails, I guess I'll take pictures of the mall... again.

As always, I'll be adding pictures Friday, Saturday and Sunday to Belinda's Project 365. Can you believe I'm already on Day 234? This year is just flying by!

Take care, and I'll talk to you Monday.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Dollar Tree has lots of different candies - and a lot cheaper too! Have fun and save me some pie!
Jennifer

Belinda said...

Don't worry. I'm pretty sure there will be plenty left over.

Friday...

Friday...
Finally, some new basketball action shots.

The JV team had two 40-minute games Friday, so I thought I would just go ahead and start filming now!

And here's the obligatory Bryant Tuggle pic. He's a HUGE supporter of our baskeball team. Always has been... always will be. Well, until he gets his own driver's license!

Saturday...

Saturday...
We spent the day with the cousins Saturday. Monica, Amy, Roxie and I shopped at Brookwood, ate at Yolo's and went to the movies (Pirates 4). It was a great day, but the best part was our celebrity sighting...

That's right! Will Ferrell! (Please feel free to use your imagination. I know we did!)

Sunday...

Sunday...
Mikie's 50th Family Birthday Celebration! Everyone knows 50 year-old men LOVE the Green Lantern...and their wives really like Ryan Reynolds! (How cool would it be to have your picture on a birthday party plate package? Another goal, perhaps?)

What do you give a 50 year-old guys for his birthday? Cards... filled with money, Ricky Skaggs' concert tickets, a True Grit DVD and a Red Devil's Food Cake with Divinity Icing (from his Mom). It was a very good day!

Lovely Melia gave him the True Grit DVD. (I LOVE that movie!)

And it wouldn't be a birthday without a hug from Roxie!