Thursday, April 8, 2010

Indy Grand Prix Date

Good Thursday morning!

The Gallery Pics are from the Fire Challenge we had in Survivor - Easter Island. As you can see from the pictures, people really CAN make fire without a match. Not me... but other people!

SURVIVOR - EASTER ISLAND - We left off yesterday with a victory for both teams. The Martins annihilated the Faulkners in the Food Challenge. (No surprise there!) However, as everyone who has EVER watched an episode of Survivor knows, fire is essential to surviving on a tropical island. You need it for warmth. You need it to boil drinking water. You need it for cooking. You MUST have fire.

And year after year after year, it has always shocked the Faulkner Five how many people come on the show NOT knowing how to make fire. "I've watched Survivor since the First Season," they will always say. Well, if that's the case, I have some questions which have always bothered me.

Why do you NOT practice making fire in the backyard until it's time to leave for the show?

Ladies, why do you wear a dress with three inch heels the day of departure KNOWING they are going to drop you off on the island with only the clothes on your back?

And while we're on the subject... Ladies, why on earth do you choose the most flimsy two-piece bathing suit EVER MADE to wear 39 straight days... with your flowy dress and your three-inch heels? I have two words for you... Land's End!

Men, why don't you wear a belt? You know you are going to lose 10 to 20 pounds and your pants aren't going to stay up!

Okay, okay. Back to the subject of fire. We bought a Boy Scout Fire Starting Kit. It came with instructions and two little pieces of metal to strike against each other. Both teams had about ten sheets of toilet paper (as per the instructions), dry pine straw, twigs and pine cones. We had set a time limit of five minutes.

It was pretty intense as both teams worked tirelessly on their fire the first three minutes. Sparks were flying, but alas, no flames were seen.

At the end of five minutes, both teams asked for an extension of time. Bev and I were more than willing to oblige, so the effort continued.

The Faulkner team started yelling, "Smoke, smoke!" And indeed, there was smoke. A lot of smoke. And then there was a tiny flame. In the excitement, Josh threw a large handful of dry pine straw on top of the flame. Smoke continued pouring out, but we feared the flame had been extinguished. Quickly removing some of the straw and having everyone blow on the remaining spark finally gave the team the desired result... FIRE! It was very exciting!

Bev and I made a mental note. Fire takes exactly 7 minutes and 32 seconds to make... not 5 minutes.

Oh, and making fire without matches causes giant blisters on the fire starters' fingers. Mike and Austin asked me to take pictures, but blisters don't really photograph well. (They were huge though. Almost the size of a pencil eraser!)

Okay. Three challenges down, and two to go. And tomorrow is Friday, so this will end right on time! Tomorrow, I'll be sharing the Explosion Challenge and the Puzzle Challenge... both of which needed MAJOR tweaking!

ANNOUNCEMENT! ANNOUNCEMENT! ANNOUNCEMENT! - Keep those questions coming! I'll be answering any and all questions left in the Comment Section of A Simple Life, in my e-mail or on Facebook Monday, May 3. Feel free to ask me ANYTHING. (I may not answer ANYTHING, but feel free nonetheless.)

Blog Linkage - I have two wonderful posts for you to read today... and you really must take time to read them. Really!

1. The first one is so easy... Click on Confessions of a Pioneer Woman under My Blog List and read Ree's post entitled "A Wink and a Smile" dated April 8. It is a sweet reminder of what a huge difference a small, kind act can make.

2. My friend, Karman, introduced me to this website yesterday, and I love it. I haven't been able to read everything, but it is about four women who became friends in 9th grade. They call themselves the Daughters of Ruth, and they talk about their lives and their friendship over the years. I copied a quote from their introduction I want to share... "So why a blog? Because we want girls to know that it is possible to have a friendship that is genuine, true, and lasting . . . when we let God pick our friends." It's a wonderful, wonderful website for moms of daughters, and the daughters themselves. Go to www.daughtersofruth4.wordpress.com. Thank you, Karman.

Indy Grand Prix Date

Since this is the FIRST Indy Grand Prix race in Birmingham, I cannot speak from experience. However, next Monday I'll be able to tell you ALL about the race. Mike, Austin and Josh are going, and I'm expecting them to be my eyes, ears and autograph seekers during this event.

Charles Barkley will act as the Grand Marshall for the Indy Grand Prix (picture and autograph #1). Taylor Hicks will be performing the National Anthem (picture and autograph #2). Randy Owen will be singing “My Home’s in Alabama” on Sunday, April 11 (picture and autograph #3). Don’t miss out, buy your tickets TODAY.

I am listing pertinent information regarding this event below.

There will be concessions located in several areas throughout the park.

Spectators are allowed to bring coolers on-site. If you are riding a shuttle from an off-site lot, the cooler must be able to fit in your lap. All coolers are subject to reasonable inspection before entering and/or at anytime throughout the race weekend. (This could really cut down on cost if you pack drinks AND picnic-type food.)

Fan Guides will be available at each tram stop, as well as hospitality locations and the Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum, and will include information regarding the race schedule and a park map.

Seats in the grandstands will be first come, first serve. Saving of seats is not allowed.

Kids 12 and under are admitted FREE to the races when accompanied by a ticketed adult each day of the race weekend.

All general spectator parking is free and located at the Birmingham Race Course. Shuttles will transport you to the Park and will drop you off at the Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum.

IMPORTANT - Restrooms are located throughout the course, mostly adjacent to viewing and concession areas. (You KNOW I'm always going to include RESTROOM INFO. Very, very important.)

For more information regarding this event, go to www.barbermotorsports.com.

AND REMEMBER... Your date could be FREE if he/she is under 12. This should be a great date as long as you remain flexible and go-with-the-flow. (Look who's talking.) Since this is the first Indy Grand Prix held in Birmingham, there isn't anything to compare, so keep your mind open and be ready for a little adventure.

Have a wet, but beautiful gray Thursday. On Friday, I'll finish this busy week with the last of the Survivor stories, Weekend Happenings and some random thoughts which have come to me while reading a couple of books AND a magazine ad (of all things).

Take care, and I'll talk to you tomorrow.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

No comments:

Friday...

Friday...
Finally, some new basketball action shots.

The JV team had two 40-minute games Friday, so I thought I would just go ahead and start filming now!

And here's the obligatory Bryant Tuggle pic. He's a HUGE supporter of our baskeball team. Always has been... always will be. Well, until he gets his own driver's license!

Saturday...

Saturday...
We spent the day with the cousins Saturday. Monica, Amy, Roxie and I shopped at Brookwood, ate at Yolo's and went to the movies (Pirates 4). It was a great day, but the best part was our celebrity sighting...

That's right! Will Ferrell! (Please feel free to use your imagination. I know we did!)

Sunday...

Sunday...
Mikie's 50th Family Birthday Celebration! Everyone knows 50 year-old men LOVE the Green Lantern...and their wives really like Ryan Reynolds! (How cool would it be to have your picture on a birthday party plate package? Another goal, perhaps?)

What do you give a 50 year-old guys for his birthday? Cards... filled with money, Ricky Skaggs' concert tickets, a True Grit DVD and a Red Devil's Food Cake with Divinity Icing (from his Mom). It was a very good day!

Lovely Melia gave him the True Grit DVD. (I LOVE that movie!)

And it wouldn't be a birthday without a hug from Roxie!