Good Thursday morning!
There are a couple more "Things That Make Me Smile" pics in the Gallery. I promise I'll have some picture-taking events this coming weekend. Next week's Gallery should be SO much better. But until then...
RANDOMNESS #1 - I'm rhubarb shopping today. Some women like to shop for shoes, purses and summer dresses. Not me! Rhubarb, baby!
RANDOMNESS #2 - Do not... I repeat, DO NOT try the Raspberry Cordial at the Godiva Chocolate store at the Galleria. It may seem like a good idea at the time because it is sitting beside the always delicious Cherry Cordial AND it is wrapped in the prettiest light pink foil with a delicate design AND it is covered in chocolate, but when it is all said and done it is still a SOUR raspberry. You would be much happier going with your first instinct and eating the Cherry Cordial instead. Learn from MY mistake.
RANDOMNESS #3 - Mikie's convention is being held in Colorado Springs at a huge, beautiful resort... AND THE RESORT HAS A PRIVATE ZOO ON THE GROUNDS! I ask you. Is this fair?
AUSTIN UPDATE - THE BOY IS COMING HOME! Finals are finished. Austin's freshman year at JSU has been completed. We survived!
He is taking an English Lit class during the Maymester, but he will be staying/visiting with different grandparents Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday nights, and he'll be home on Thursday afternoons, so I don't really consider the Maymester "being away at college."
After much reflection (and reviewing the notebook I have kept since last August 7 when he left), I will regale you, the readers of A Simple Life, with the pros and cons of being a mother of a college freshman living in a dorm at JSU tomorrow. I realize I am not the first (or only) mother who has survived the "Dreaded Freshman Year," so feel free to add your two cents if you are member of this club!
Blog Linkage - I have two posts to share with you this morning. One for reflection and one for a smile!
1. Click on Sherri's Blog under My Blog List and read her April 18 post entitled "Letters to God." It is one part movie review and one part testimony. I want our family to see this movie very, very soon.
2. Go to www.coalcreekfarm.com and read the April 19 post entitled "Becky, the Cake Maker." If you are a fan (or a reluctant viewer) of the show LOST, you MUST see the cake this very talented woman made for a LOST Party. It is amazing!
Hobby Date
This date was listed under my post "100 Date Ideas" a few months back. It was very vague in the list, but since Austin and Melia have tried this one (and enjoyed it), I decided to make it more specific.
This is not an expensive date. It goes something like this...
1. Find a nice, local bakery and pick out a pastry treat for each other. Spend some time leisurely talking and enjoying your treat.
2. Go to a nearby Hobby Store and pick out something the two of you will enjoy doing together. It can be a puzzle, model car, kite, birdhouse kit, etc. Try to pick out something which will take a little more time than just one evening to complete.
3. Head home to get started on your project.
So, to actually make it more doable, head to Savage's Bakery in Homewood. This is an old bakery I visited for the first time over 25 years ago. It is wonderful, and it has a huge variety of cookies, pastries, cakes and pies. (I suggest trying a melt-away. It was my favorite back in the day, and now they have about five or six different flavors.) If you want to make it a lunch date, they have a semi-large selection of deli-style sandwiches, salads, soups, etc. Very, very good.
Now, take your time and meander (good word) down the hill to the Homewood Toy and Hobby Shop which has hobbies and kits to choose from. Take your time shopping and finding the perfect hobby you and your child (or spouse) will enjoy doing together.
VARIATION - After you have gone to your favorite bakery (no matter where you live in the country), go to your local post office and check out their stamp collecting kits. You may want to visit or call prior to the date to check on supply (I'm not sure every post office will have these kits on site) and cost. If stamp collecting was something you enjoyed as a child, it might be something you could share with your child now.
Have a terrific Thursday. Busy, busy day today. I have to kill a fatted calf in celebration of The Boy coming home. (Is it very difficult to kill and prepare a fatted calf. Does anyone know where I can find a fatted calf... legally. It doesn't sound pleasant, does it? We may just have pizza. His choice.) And then there are the banners which have to be made and strung across the front of the house. And then there are the flags which must be raised which have been at half staff all year. And then I have to run to Cracker Barrel and buy his favorite creme soda to have sitting on his pillow when he walks into his room (a/k/a The Shrine). Yes, there is much to do in preparation for his homecoming!
I'll have Weekend Happenings and some timely reminders for you Friday, so check back for a few minutes before you start your busy weekends!
Take care, and I'll talk to you tomorrow.
Sincerely,
The Enchanting Belinda
If you are new to A Simple Life, here's a little tip. There will ALWAYS be many, many pics at the end of each post. New pictures are added every day (Monday through Friday). If you want to get to the "picture" part of the blog, you have to keep scrolling down, down, down... but you will eventually find it! Thanks for visiting!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Friday...
Finally, some new basketball action shots.
The JV team had two 40-minute games Friday, so I thought I would just go ahead and start filming now!
And here's the obligatory Bryant Tuggle pic. He's a HUGE supporter of our baskeball team. Always has been... always will be. Well, until he gets his own driver's license!
Saturday...
We spent the day with the cousins Saturday. Monica, Amy, Roxie and I shopped at Brookwood, ate at Yolo's and went to the movies (Pirates 4). It was a great day, but the best part was our celebrity sighting...
That's right! Will Ferrell! (Please feel free to use your imagination. I know we did!)
Sunday...
Mikie's 50th Family Birthday Celebration! Everyone knows 50 year-old men LOVE the Green Lantern...and their wives really like Ryan Reynolds! (How cool would it be to have your picture on a birthday party plate package? Another goal, perhaps?)
What do you give a 50 year-old guys for his birthday? Cards... filled with money, Ricky Skaggs' concert tickets, a True Grit DVD and a Red Devil's Food Cake with Divinity Icing (from his Mom). It was a very good day!
Lovely Melia gave him the True Grit DVD. (I LOVE that movie!)
And it wouldn't be a birthday without a hug from Roxie!
4 comments:
Wow! Where did the time go? How can he be finished with Freshman year? It doesn't seem possible! But tell Austin we are VERY proud of him and we are thankful to have such a fine young man blazing the trail for us stumbling parents. I'm glad we have him to tell us what to expect in a few years!
Yes, tell Austin congrats from us too! You mentioned the movie "Letters to God". I read the book and it is wonderful! Take your tissues because you will need them. Great story and such an inspiration!
~dawn
I am sooooo happy for you that "The Boy" is coming home. I too think this year has passed by fast. I truly hope it does the same next year when I am in your shoes. You may have to bring me tissue, food, and lots of happy thoughts for just thinkin of Zack going to Alabama makes me wanna get sick. lol I know he will love it. Tell Austin congrats on finishing the first year and to enjoy the summer with his MOMMY! luv ya girl
patti
LeAnna... It has been a fast year. I love that JSU gets out April 22. That is wonderful!
Dawn... I may have to wait awhile to see the movie if it is a tearjerker. I'm still trying to get over The Last Song. (But I know this movie is special, so I'll make an effort.) I'm really an animation movie person. Come on Toy Story 3!
Patti... If I can do it, anyone can do it. But I don't mind hand delivering tissues to good friends. (How did everything go yesterday?)
Talk to y'all later.
Post a Comment