Good Wednesday morning!
The Gallery Pics are from Christmas with Mike's family. These photos will finish up the Christmas pics for this year. And everyone let out a big sigh of relief!
CHRISTMAS CARD COUNT - Believe it or not, they are still slowly, but surely, trickling in... 83 and still counting!
Special Guest - I have a few more hints for you today. I don't think they will help much. If anything, it will make the guessing even more difficult. See what you think.
4. I graduated from the same high school as Ruben Studdard (but not the same year).
5. I have been to Disney World eight times, including the first summer it opened.
6. I am an Alabama fan and have been to two Sugar Bowls. Bear Bryant coached both of these Bowl games.
THOUGHT FOR TODAY AND TOMORROW - GOALS
Since the year 2010 is in our very near future (FRIDAY, FRIDAY, FRIDAY), I thought we might talk about goals. I'm not a big advocate of the New Year's Resolution. I never have been. I think it must be the word "resolution." It sets you up for failure. You can resolve to do change something beginning January 1 and ultimately fail by March 1 of the same year. Yuck.
In my way of thinking (Code for I'M THE ONLY ONE WHO THINKS THIS WAY IN THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE), the word "goal" is so much better. I can set a goal and if it takes me two or three years to obtain the goal, I'm okay with that. I don't feel like a failure. I don't feel like I've let myself down. I just keep plugging away at my "long-term" goal and eventually, one day, I'll get there. (Or at least that's what I tell myself.)
Case in point, my Christmas Card goals. It took years to get 65 Christmas cards. It took years to get 75 Christmas cards. It's going to take years to get 100 Christmas cards. I don't care. Don't get me wrong. I do want 100 Christmas cards at some point, but I'll be just as thrilled in 2021 to meet that goal as I would be if I met the goal in 2010.
I've had several goals over the years. Mike says my goals make absolutely no sense and are therefore useless... but I enjoy them. I'm going to go against my better judgment and share a few with you today. Since I can't see you looking at me like I'm an idiot, it will make it easier.
I had a goal when the kids were little to NOT lock them in the car while it was still running, and they were buckled in their car seats. I know wonderful mothers who have done this. It's not a reflection on them. It's just something I wanted to shoot for... and I made it! (DO NOT ask me how many times I slammed my purse, hand and/or foot in the car door before it closed to help meet this goal!)
I had a goal my kids wouldn't have ear infections... ever. (I know you have that look on your face right now. You know the one. The "Belinda is an Idiot" look.) I realize this has nothing to do with my ability as a mother or nurse or whatever. I just thought it could be something to shoot for. And I thought I had made this goal... until one day when Josh was TEN YEARS-OLD.
"My ear hurts," he complained.
"Did you fall on it," I asked.
"No, it hurts when you pull on it and when I go to bed at night." Hmmm. What in the world could that be? I took him to the doctor.
"He has an ear infection," the doctor said, not even looking up.
"What? Are you sure?" I asked.
"Yes. I'm sure."
"Well, what do you call it when a ten year-old has an... you know... ear thingy?" I couldn't even bring myself to say the words.
"An ear infection," he answered slowly.
"Is there another name for this "condition" when they are this old? Something in Latin perhaps?"
"It is an EAR INFECTION."
"Could it be swimmer's ear?" I tried again.
"It's January. Has he been swimming?"
"No. So for it to be swimmer's ear it requires him to have actually been swimming... recently?"
"Is there a problem?"
"No. No problem at all. But technically, if he isn't running a fever, we kind of caught it BEFORE it actually became an ear infection. Right?"
"He has an ear infection." Goal not met. It took me a long time to get over that one.
I wish I could say those were my only "idiotic" goals, but there are a few more. If you like, I could share some more with you tomorrow. All righty then. Tomorrow it is!
Wednesday Wisdom - I have New Year's Eve quotes for today, folks. Nothing too deep, I promise.
"Youth is when you're allowed to stay up late on New Year's Eve. Middle age is when you're forced to." Bill Vaughn.
"People are so worried about what they eat between Christmas and the New Year, but they really should be worried about what they eat between the New Year and Christmas." Anonymous.
New Year's Eve Tradition Ideas (Old and New)
As the year comes to a close, the Haddads of Holt, Michigan, create a Year in Review list, recording the year's activities from A to Z. They decide what event best represents the letter "A" (astronaut costume), "B" (beach), etc. This is an activity for the entire family to do together. It will be fun to go back and remember what you thought you'd never forget! Taken from FamilyFun Magazine.
VARIATION #1 - If A through Z is too difficult for a Year in Review, you can try the Top Ten or Top Twenty version instead.
It's time for a New Year's Eve Sleep-Over! If your son or daughter is old enough for a sleep-over party, December 31 is the ideal time to host one. Since staying up late (or at least trying to) is de rigueur at sleep-overs anyway, why not coordinate it with the one night when everyone else on the planet is up, too? Add some simple decorations such as balloons, streamers, and sparkle-ribbon paper chains to make everything festive and enjoy your New Year's Eve. (You're going to be up anyway!) Taken from FamilyFun Magazine.
If you do not have a group of adults you celebrate New Year's Eve with each year, start a tradition with your family... even if the kids are very young. Here are some ideas to begin your own New Year's Eve Family Party:
1. Plan and have the same (or similar) meal each year (pizza by candlelight, soup and sandwiches, lasagna, etc.).
2. Plan an activity you can do each New Year's Eve as a family (movie night, game night, karaoke night, etc.)
3. You started the Christmas season sleeping under the Christmas tree. Start the new year by camping out in the den as a family.
Make it your own. As your kids grow, you may very well have created a tradition which will include their girlfriends/boyfriends, wives/husbands and grandkids. This is the best kind of tradition... a tradition which can grow with your family.
Have a fun Wednesday. I have a feeling this week is going to fly by. Plan something fun with family and friends. Write it in INK. Come back tomorrow for Thursday's date and some Blog Linkage. And, of course, I'll share a few more goals I've set for myself. Goals to inspire. Goals to encourage. (Actually, these goals will only make you feel much, much better about yourself as a human being.)
Take care, and I'll talk to you tomorrow.
Sincerely,
The Enchanting and Slightly-Off Belinda
If you are new to A Simple Life, here's a little tip. There will ALWAYS be many, many pics at the end of each post. New pictures are added every day (Monday through Friday). If you want to get to the "picture" part of the blog, you have to keep scrolling down, down, down... but you will eventually find it! Thanks for visiting!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Friday...
Finally, some new basketball action shots.
The JV team had two 40-minute games Friday, so I thought I would just go ahead and start filming now!
And here's the obligatory Bryant Tuggle pic. He's a HUGE supporter of our baskeball team. Always has been... always will be. Well, until he gets his own driver's license!
Saturday...
We spent the day with the cousins Saturday. Monica, Amy, Roxie and I shopped at Brookwood, ate at Yolo's and went to the movies (Pirates 4). It was a great day, but the best part was our celebrity sighting...
That's right! Will Ferrell! (Please feel free to use your imagination. I know we did!)
Sunday...
Mikie's 50th Family Birthday Celebration! Everyone knows 50 year-old men LOVE the Green Lantern...and their wives really like Ryan Reynolds! (How cool would it be to have your picture on a birthday party plate package? Another goal, perhaps?)
What do you give a 50 year-old guys for his birthday? Cards... filled with money, Ricky Skaggs' concert tickets, a True Grit DVD and a Red Devil's Food Cake with Divinity Icing (from his Mom). It was a very good day!
Lovely Melia gave him the True Grit DVD. (I LOVE that movie!)
And it wouldn't be a birthday without a hug from Roxie!
2 comments:
I definitely know how the mystery guest is. Fo sho !!!
Should I say? Or should we not give it away?
Let's just keep it a secret one more day. You can let us know if you were right tomorrow.
(I had a feeling you might know her well enough to guess correctly.)
Post a Comment