Good Wednesday morning!
Yes, my posts are appearing a little later than normal, but I can't skip "life" to post every night. I'll be back on track soon, I'm sure.
The Gallery Pic today is of one of our three trees. My gifts do not include "tree decorator extraordinaire," but for better or worse, this is my angel tree. It is in my living room, and it is full of angels and a few odd pieces which are too fancy for my "kid tree." Our third tree is in Roxie's room, and she's in charge of that one, and it changes year to year. I'll have a picture of her tree tomorrow.
JUST A THOUGHT - Do you ever listen to the John Croyle commercials... you know, from the Big Oak Ranch? They have had a commercial during this holiday season that really made me think. I'll have to paraphrase a little bit. Mr. Croyle asks the question, "What do your kids see as the most important thing in your life?"
Then he tells a story of a little boy who was asked that question about his Dad, and he answered, "My Mom. My Daddy loves my Mom." He then goes on to say what a good job that Daddy has done showing his little boy the priorities of life... God, Family and then Others. When this set of priorities is out of order, so are our lives.
Well, I did a gutsy thing. I asked Josh, "Not counting God, what do you see as the most important thing in my life?" He looked like a deer caught in headlights.
"Is this a trick question?"
"No. It is a simple question."
"Will I be punished if I answer wrong?"
"No. But, you will be punished if you don't answer SOON!"
He grinned and said, "Family."
"Did I get it right?" he asked, smirking.
"You did okay," I responded, breathing a sigh of relief. Now it was Roxie's turn.
"Not counting God, what do you see as the most important thing in my life?"
"Why do you want to know?" she countered.
"It's just a question. Answer, please."
"Is there more than one right answer?"
"I don't think you can get this wrong. It's just your opinion," I replied, starting to get very impatient.
"Will you be mad if I answer it wrong?"
WHAT IS WRONG WITH THESE KIDS?
"Okay. Okay. The answer is 'family.' Am I right?" Roxie asked with a smirk on her face, too!
I slipped her a $5 bill and told her not to tell her brother!
You may be asking, "Are you going to ask Austin when he gets home?" I don't think so. Right now, I'm pretty happy with the two out of three answers I received. I don't think I want to mess it up. He's liable to say "chocolate chip cookie dough," or "going to the movies," or something else upsetting. Too risky. Too, too risky! (And I'll tell you a little story about why I know it is too risky in tomorrow's post!)
CHRISTMAS EVERY DAY IN DECEMBER
DAY 7
10. Ask another family over to join in a Family Game Night. It doesn't have to be elaborate. Turn on the Christmas music, fix a couple of desserts, have eggnog and "normal" drinks ready to serve, and play a favorite game. Keep in mind the total number playing and the ages of the kids when you pick the game. Divide into teams (kids vs. parents, family vs. family, boys vs. girls), and have a ball. It doesn't have to be an all night affair. It can last only a couple of hours. (You may have so much fun you will want to make it an annual tradition!)
TOPIC OF THE WEEK - JOSEPH
Since I went a little long on the JUST A THOUGHT segment, I'll talk about Joseph in tomorrow's post.
Wednesday Wisdom - More Christmas goodness to stop and make you think, think, think.
"Selfishness makes Christmas a burden, love makes it a delight." Unknown.
"The best of all gifts around any Christmas tree; the presence of a happy family all wrapped up in each other." Burton Hillis.
ABCs of Christmas Scrapbook
My Aunt Connie made these scrapbooks for her grandchildren. They are a beautiful, unique, colorful, fun way to help little ones learn their ABCs, and it will become a family heirloom... I promise!
This is a scrapbook with 28 to 30 pages. You will need a lot of Christmas cards (dozens and dozens... I've been collecting for years). Cut the cards any way you like before putting them on the page. There is no wrong way to create this scrapbook.
On the Cover Page be sure and put TO:_____________, FROM:_____________, December 25, ____, as well as the title "ABCs of CHRISTMAS."
Each page has a rhyming verse, and after putting the rhyme somewhere on the page, add as many pictures from cards as you can find.
A is for Angels with halos so bright,
whose carols were heard
on that first Christmas night.
(Angel Pictures)
B is for Baby
the Christ Child so dear.
We celebrate Christmas;
His birthday each year.
(Baby Jesus Pictures)
C is for Candles that so
brightly shine,
to give a warm welcome
to your friend and mine.
(Candle Pictures)
D is for Doorways
with garlands of green,
to make Christmas merry
as far as they're seen.
(Doorway Pictures)
E is for Evergreens,
garlands galore,
we hang at our windows,
fireplace and door.
(Evergreen Pictures)
F is for Fireside
cheery and gay,
to give a warm welcome
on each Christmas day.
(Fireplace Pictures)
G is for Greetings,
a merry hello,
with a heart full of love
for people we know.
(Greetings, Happy Holidays, etc. Pictures)
H is for Holly
with berries so red,
to make into wreaths
to hang overhead.
(Holly Pictures)
I is for Ice
on snow-covered hills,
where sledding is fun
along with the spills.
(Snow and Ice Scene Pictures)
Do you get the idea? Aunt Connie also used actual pictures of the grandchild on the Angel Page, or on the Ice Page playing in the snow, etc.
I'll have another nine rhymes tomorrow, and we'll finish this book by Friday. It's a great gift for a little one learning his or her ABCs!
I'm making one for my great-nephew, Matthew, this year. He LOVES books, and I'm hoping he'll really love this one.
Have a great Wednesday. I have some very sweet Blog Linkage for tomorrow, as well as a fun date. I'll also have a couple more "Christmas Every Day in December" ideas to share. There will be more Scrapbook Rhymes, and we'll go back to the Topic of the Week for a little while.
Don't forget to enter the contest. Time is drawing nigh! (Christmas talk... don't you love it? Before December is over, I'm going to try to get the word "hark" into a sentence!)
Take care, and I'll talk to you tomorrow.
Sincerely,
The Enchanting Belinda
If you are new to A Simple Life, here's a little tip. There will ALWAYS be many, many pics at the end of each post. New pictures are added every day (Monday through Friday). If you want to get to the "picture" part of the blog, you have to keep scrolling down, down, down... but you will eventually find it! Thanks for visiting!
Tuesday, December 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Friday...
Finally, some new basketball action shots.
The JV team had two 40-minute games Friday, so I thought I would just go ahead and start filming now!
And here's the obligatory Bryant Tuggle pic. He's a HUGE supporter of our baskeball team. Always has been... always will be. Well, until he gets his own driver's license!
Saturday...
We spent the day with the cousins Saturday. Monica, Amy, Roxie and I shopped at Brookwood, ate at Yolo's and went to the movies (Pirates 4). It was a great day, but the best part was our celebrity sighting...
That's right! Will Ferrell! (Please feel free to use your imagination. I know we did!)
Sunday...
Mikie's 50th Family Birthday Celebration! Everyone knows 50 year-old men LOVE the Green Lantern...and their wives really like Ryan Reynolds! (How cool would it be to have your picture on a birthday party plate package? Another goal, perhaps?)
What do you give a 50 year-old guys for his birthday? Cards... filled with money, Ricky Skaggs' concert tickets, a True Grit DVD and a Red Devil's Food Cake with Divinity Icing (from his Mom). It was a very good day!
Lovely Melia gave him the True Grit DVD. (I LOVE that movie!)
And it wouldn't be a birthday without a hug from Roxie!
2 comments:
Ok, I can practice what my answer will be for the question tonight.
Don't blow this one! It could cost you a Christmas present.
Post a Comment