Sunday, November 8, 2009

Operation Christmas Child Party

Good Monday morning!

The Showcase Pic is of Roxie taking pictures of Austin and Josh's Sunday afternoon football game with friends. She's a trooper (and a big fan of the self-portrait).

The Gallery Pics are also of the football game. (Roxie had to sneak down to the lot to take them for me. They don't seem to mind her hanging around as much as the Mother Unit... which I totally understand.)

Monday Mayhem

I should have no less than 100 pictures in the Gallery today. Our weekend went pretty much according to plan, but for several reasons, we're a little low in the picture department.

Friday's field trip to Montgomery was filled with picture moments, and thankfully, I did have my film camera with me when I discovered I had left my digital card at home. Thus, I have four rolls of film, but no pics to put on the computer.

I could have gotten a ton of pictures at Christmas Village, but other than the picture I took for Belinda's Project 365, I didn't take any more. I try not to take pictures of events I'm not going to scrapbook, and I don't scrapbook our Christmas Village trips.

Then there was yesterday's football game at the lot with tons of guys. Roxie was gone from 2:00 to 4:00 during most of the game, but she good-naturedly helped me out when she came home and took what few shots you see in the Gallery today.

I could have taken pictures of us watching Amazing Race, but I did that two weeks ago.

I almost took a picture of the Laundry Room to make everyone feel better about themselves this week, but I decided no one was worth that humiliation! So today, you have two or three pics of the football game, and I put a picture of Austin's No"shave"ember results on Belinda's Project 365. That's it! That's all!

Hopefully, tomorrow will be better!

That being said, it was an extremely nice weekend. I wish they could all turn out so well, and I was very thankful for every moment.

NOTE TO JOAN - I looked for you at every dip, soup and cider table at Christmas Village, but to no avail. (I even went back for seconds to try to find you and Lauren.) Maybe we'll bump into each other next year!

Operation Christmas Child Party

After a conversation I had with my friend, Cam, who is a HUGE Operation Christmas Child shoebox provider, I had an idea for a very purposeful, meaningful party.

I'll use Roxie's age as an example, but you can do this with any age child or either sex.

If you have a pre-teen or teenage daughter, invite five to six friends over to prepare the BEST pre-teen or teenage girl shoebox EVER. Each girl should bring $5 of their own money.

As the parent, you will need to provide the toothbrushes, toothpaste, and other personal hygiene items. Then take the girls to Target or Wal-Mart or Claire's and let them purchase one or two things with their $5. The item(s) must be something they would want to receive themselves on Christmas morning. They have to shop for the shoebox... NOT THEMSELVES (even if they brought extra money). Guide them in their shopping choices. Help them think about the purchases they are making and why.

They should ask themselves these questions as they shop: Would you want plain white socks or would you want the fun socks with all the designs? Would you want the plain brush and mirror, or would you want the fun, fold-up brush and mirror with jewels and sequins all over it? Would you want the animal bracelets which are so popular? Would you want the plain blue journal, or would you want the blue and brown polka dot journal with matching ink pens? Would you want a zebra-striped change purse since the animal prints are "in" right now?

Would you love opening this shoebox Christmas morning?

I know. The children opening these boxes have little or nothing, but having the girls (or boys) think in terms of what they would want and then giving it to someone else will make it more personal and more meaningful... don't you think?

After you have shopped, your can take the kids to get a hamburger so they can fellowship a little more, or you can take them back to your house for snacks before they pack the box.

Take a picture of the kids to put in the box, and after you seal the box, have each girl (or boy) go around in a circle and pray for the child who will receive that most marvelous gift. Pray for their health. Pray for their family. Pray they have enough food to eat. And lastly, pray for the child's salvation... so one day the girls will be able to meet face to face in Heaven.

Before the girls leave, remind them to think of the little girl somewhere on the other side of the world opening her gift Christmas morning while they sit in their home opening their own gifts. Tell them to be happy for the little girl because she received an unselfish, "from the heart" gift... which is the very best kind of gift to receive (or give).

NOTE - Be prepared to add a few more things to the box if the girls only purchase one item apiece with their $5. That is fine. If they were thoughtful and the purchase was something they would appreciate if they received it, it will not matter if they do not purchase five items for $5.

ANOTHER NOTE - Find out the deadline for turning in shoeboxes at your church. You don't want to plan this party and miss the deadline to send the box.

Have a great Monday. Tomorrow I'll be sharing another EASY soup recipe. Next week, maybe we'll try a dessert, or a main dish, or something a little different. Or not. I'll just have to see how I'm feeling!

Take care, and I'll talk to you tomorrow.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Austin had a great time playing ball yesterday but boy did he stink when he got home. Lauren and I went to Christmas Village the first thing Sat. morning so we would be home in time for the game. I guess we missed you, but we bought some great soup mixes.
Joan

Belinda said...

Hi, Joan:

I'm glad Austin had fun. I'm sorry about the stink, but that's obviously part of it.

We were at Christmas Village after lunch, so that explains the "miss." Let me know which soup mixes you try. I've never actually bought the mixes. I just eat ALL the samples.

Talk to you later.

Anonymous said...

Next year you need to purchase the dip mixes.. WOW there are great and I always go back each year to buy them. Hope you had fun I know me and Nancy Faris did Friday. By the way Belinda send me your address via email.. ;-)

Friday...

Friday...
Finally, some new basketball action shots.

The JV team had two 40-minute games Friday, so I thought I would just go ahead and start filming now!

And here's the obligatory Bryant Tuggle pic. He's a HUGE supporter of our baskeball team. Always has been... always will be. Well, until he gets his own driver's license!

Saturday...

Saturday...
We spent the day with the cousins Saturday. Monica, Amy, Roxie and I shopped at Brookwood, ate at Yolo's and went to the movies (Pirates 4). It was a great day, but the best part was our celebrity sighting...

That's right! Will Ferrell! (Please feel free to use your imagination. I know we did!)

Sunday...

Sunday...
Mikie's 50th Family Birthday Celebration! Everyone knows 50 year-old men LOVE the Green Lantern...and their wives really like Ryan Reynolds! (How cool would it be to have your picture on a birthday party plate package? Another goal, perhaps?)

What do you give a 50 year-old guys for his birthday? Cards... filled with money, Ricky Skaggs' concert tickets, a True Grit DVD and a Red Devil's Food Cake with Divinity Icing (from his Mom). It was a very good day!

Lovely Melia gave him the True Grit DVD. (I LOVE that movie!)

And it wouldn't be a birthday without a hug from Roxie!