Good Thursday morning!
The Showcase Pic today is of Joshua after he obtained his DRIVER'S LICENSE! That's right. Another huge milestone for the Faulkner Five. Four out of five of us are driving... legally. Don't ask! (I will now be using my Austin Goes to College medication for Joshua is Driving Alone medication as well. It's very versatile.)
Before we get into today's post, I want to talk about something that has always bothered me a little (Code for A LOT). I think (and correct me if I'm wrong) some people (not all) have the wrong impression of who I really am. I've had people tell me years ago when I taught a Christ-Centered Tradition Class at my church I made them feel bad about themselves. Even though I spoke of my mistakes (and there are many) and my flaws (and there are 42), I unintentionally portrayed myself as a better wife, mother, friend, daughter, sister, etc. than I really was. I didn't want to make people feel bad. I wanted to share my passion and my interests in an interesting, yet simple, manner. But somehow, I didn't quite pull it off.
When I started A Simple Life, it had a slightly different purpose. It was going to be my little way of taking some of the stigma away from having mental illness in your family. (Did you know 1 in 6 people deal with mental illness... either personally or with a close family member or friend?) But it was also going to be a way to talk about my passion and interests again... FAMILY STUFF!
I've tried to think of a way to do this and not make ANYONE ever feel bad. Should I list my 42 flaws? (No. I'm much too prideful to do that. Oops. I let that one slip.) Should I make a new section called A Mistake a Day listing the mistakes I've made as a wife, mother, friend, daughter, sister, etc.? (Uh. No. There's no sense in making me feel bad, too.)
And then it came to me. Actually my friend, Charlotte, and I were talking about it at the football game the other night. Everyone has a gift. I will never be able to sing like Charlotte. Ever. It is not my gift. But would I ever NOT listen to her sing because it made me feel bad because I didn't have her magnificent gift? That would be NUTS! Of course not! (Please remember the exclamation points are not "blog yelling." I'm just trying to make a point.)
I'm going to leave you with these verses:
"We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man's gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his faith. If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach; if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously; if it is leadership, let him govern diligently; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully." Romans 12:6-8.
Whatever your gift may be... serving, teaching, encouraging, giving, leading, or writing a little blog called A Simple Life, do it and do it with all your heart and might! Oh, and do it TODAY!
Thank you, Charlotte. I needed that!
Blog Linkage
As promised, here a few blog links which may interest you. Today, I'm keeping it simple and giving you only three. Two of the blogs have a good bit of reading, but they are wonderful and interesting. They are definitely NOT a waste of your precious time.
The first linkage is under my Blog List. Click on Nitty Gritty, and then go to her left sidebar. Once there, click on Our Story of Losing Teagan to read her amazing story. You will leave her blog so thankful for your family, for the ordinary, for the mundane. I don't know if you'll ever look at your children the same way again. She is truly a blessing as she writes about grief, faith, hope and her day-to-day life with a child in Heaven and five in her earthly home.
The second linkage is also under my Blog List. I know I have referred you many times to Nitty Gritty AND The Pioneer Woman, but in case you have never read how The Pioneer Woman BECAME The Pioneer Woman, you have to go to her left sidebar and click on Black Heels to Tractor Wheels. It's a modern day love story. You will laugh. You will cry. And the very best part... It all really happened. I love her story.
The third linkage is, of course, the one I refer to each and every Thursday originally given to me by my friend, Jennifer. However, if you go to the link yourself, you will see all kinds of bargains, discounts, etc., as well as the "family fun" activities I listed each week. The blog address is http://blog.al.com/bargain-mom.
Okay. There you go. Please keep in mind, these other blog links are NOT to be read INSTEAD OF A Simple Life. They should be read AFTER you have read your daily helping of A Simple Life. (And don't think I won't find out!) Enjoy!
Driver's License Date
I called this a once-in-a-lifetime date, but in actuality, I know it can take more than once for a teen to obtain his/her driver's license. However, whenever it is time for your teenager to take the driving test, have their picture made and laminated and then drive home from the courthouse, it is a time of celebration... if not for the parent, then for the teen.
This is a great time for a celebratory lunch with parent and new driver. You've already taken off work for a half day, so make it even more special by treating your child/young adult to a special lunch at the restaurant of their choice.
Because they are happy (and believe me... they ARE happy), even the most closed-mouthed child will probably be more open to conversation about anything and everything. Take advantage of their good mood, and enjoy this time with them.
Mikie is the parent who takes the kids on the Driver's License Date. This has fallen into his lap because he is much calmer than I am on the ride home. (There's not enough Austin Goes to College OR Joshua is Driving Alone medication in the world to make me relax enough for this to be considered a fun date.) However, it is right up Mike's alley.
Unless something unforeseen happens, he'll be taking Roxie on this same date in three short years.
Tomorrow we'll be talking about Weekend Happenings, and I'll be giving the first clue concerning the Special Guest who will be appearing on A Simple Life November 2. Enjoy your beautiful fall day today.
Take care, and I'll talk to you tomorrow.
Sincerely,
The Enchanting and Heavily Medicated Belinda
If you are new to A Simple Life, here's a little tip. There will ALWAYS be many, many pics at the end of each post. New pictures are added every day (Monday through Friday). If you want to get to the "picture" part of the blog, you have to keep scrolling down, down, down... but you will eventually find it! Thanks for visiting!
Wednesday, October 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Friday...
Finally, some new basketball action shots.
The JV team had two 40-minute games Friday, so I thought I would just go ahead and start filming now!
And here's the obligatory Bryant Tuggle pic. He's a HUGE supporter of our baskeball team. Always has been... always will be. Well, until he gets his own driver's license!
Saturday...
We spent the day with the cousins Saturday. Monica, Amy, Roxie and I shopped at Brookwood, ate at Yolo's and went to the movies (Pirates 4). It was a great day, but the best part was our celebrity sighting...
That's right! Will Ferrell! (Please feel free to use your imagination. I know we did!)
Sunday...
Mikie's 50th Family Birthday Celebration! Everyone knows 50 year-old men LOVE the Green Lantern...and their wives really like Ryan Reynolds! (How cool would it be to have your picture on a birthday party plate package? Another goal, perhaps?)
What do you give a 50 year-old guys for his birthday? Cards... filled with money, Ricky Skaggs' concert tickets, a True Grit DVD and a Red Devil's Food Cake with Divinity Icing (from his Mom). It was a very good day!
Lovely Melia gave him the True Grit DVD. (I LOVE that movie!)
And it wouldn't be a birthday without a hug from Roxie!
9 comments:
Hey Belinda!
I thought that you had 43 flaws. The next time we walk I want us to explore this topic. How many laps will it take? LOL. I love all 42 of you.
Actually, I have 55. I "embellished" a little (which is flaw #23).
CONGRATULATIONS JOSHUA!!! Wow! Belinda you are holding up very well considering 1 in college and 2 driving. I won't go into the "flaws" discussion. I think you're perfect!
Oh, if only I was having a contest right now... it would be so easy to pick the winner.
Up that flaw number, Baby!!! (This is blog yelling.)
And, you would not have been very calm on the way home. Oops, probably shouldn't have said that.
Mike Faulkner
Hmmm. You might want to pick up an Arby's on the way home tonight, Babe. (Flaw #15... I hold grudges!)
Congrats to Josh - I'll make sure and pray extra hard for you now. 2 kids driving deserves double the prayers!
I'll be sharing a game with you soon that we found at Pizza Hut. It's called Repeat Pete and I think you might like it. My sister recently came to town and we shared the game with my entire family - grandparents too - and we were all rolling on the floor it was so funny. Great game for families. I'll make copies and send them home with Mike.
Here's a link to Barnes & Noble for free small cookie and kids hot chocolate this Saturday. http://www.barnesandnoble.com/email/Print_nonav.asp?r=1&PID=30884&cm_mmc=Non-Member-_-This_Week-_-091021_NH01_ThisWeek-_-non-personalized
Best Wishes!
Jennifer R
(I missed you at the Employee Banquet - was looking forward to catching up with you. Maybe we'll get to see each other at Christmas.)
I definitely want to see the game. I've never heard of it before.
And at the end of our dates, Mike and I usually end up at Barnes & Noble, so I'll run off the coupon in just a minute. Thank you.
I missed seeing you, too. That's the first thing I asked Mike when he came home. "Was Jennifer there?"
I'm coming to the Christmas party (with or without Mike). He may have to stay home that night and cart the kids around. (I'm not ready to turn Josh loose with Roxie in the car. I'm not ready to turn Josh loose with Josh in the car either !)
Thanks for the extra prayers. He's doing his first solo drive tonight driving to the Thursday night football dinner.
Talk to you soon.
First off CONGRATS to Josh!! Second off, I do not know you that well but have really really enjoyed your blogging and Belinda you have never made me feel bad. you have a gift and you use it so well to inform others so you keep doing what u r doing and how u r doing it. There was only 1 perfect man who walked this earth. I LOVE reading your stuff. Have a great one!
Patti F
Post a Comment