Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Are You Ready For Some Football Date

Good Thursday morning!

ANNOUNCEMENT - On Labor Day, (September 7, 2009 only), wear your sports team logo to Chick-Fil-A from 10:30 a.m. to close, and get a FREE Chick-Fil-A Chicken Sandwich. Thanks to my cousin, Amy, for letting me know about this great deal. WAR EAGLE and GO GAMECOCKS! We're eating free on Monday!

The Gallery pic today is of a HUGE branch that fell out of our tree in the backyard for no apparent reason. No wind. No rain. No lightning. I could have been killed! Or slightly scratched. I will say, the branch is much, much bigger in person. It looks a little scrawny in the photo. Again, I could have been killed!

NOTE TO CAROL - Thank you so much for your sweet comment. There is no doubt in my mind you are a very compassionate person by nature. The cards you design not only show your creativity, but your heart as well. Also, the love you have for Dave, your girls and Princess is shown in every word and picture you post. If we were ever to meet in person, I KNOW "compassionate" would be one of the words I would use to describe you.

For all the scrapbooking/card making blog readers out there, always check under My Blog List for Crazy for Crafting. There is ALWAYS inspiration for your pages on this blog. Also, Carol is the one who gave me encouragement when I was wondering if I could actually start and finish Project 365. She's the reason I am where I am today... Day 8 - September 2, 2009. So far, so good, Carol! So far, so good!

NOTE TO JENNIFER - I'll be looking for the Glade candle coupons. Do you get them in the Sunday paper? Also, I knew Mikie was having way too much fun at work. Now I have your kiddos' word against his (parties and bingo)... and I will use it against him.

Weekend Family Fun

As usual, I checked with http://blog.al.com/bargain-mom and found information for the first two events listed. Check her blog weekly. Not only does she have fun inexpensive places to take the family, but she has coupon and other bargain-worthy info. It's a great website.

Butterbean Festival - This Saturday is Pinson's Butterbean Festival from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. From butterbeans, crafts, vendors and entertainment to freebies, antique cars, discounts and more, you're sure to find something in Pinson this weekend. It's on Main Street that runs through the heart of Pinson.

Home Depot's Kids Workshop - The workshop is this Saturday. Children, ages 5 to 12, will build a Bean Bag Toss game. Workshop hours are from 9:00 a.m. to noon at all Home Depot locations. Children will take home the project, an apron and achievement pin.

Sweet Tater Festival - Dowling Memorial Park, located near Cullman in historic Crane Hill, is the site of this annual Labor Day weekend event featuring arts, crafts, food, raffles, live entertainment and plenty of sweet taters. Crane Hill dates back to 1803 when the first settlers established churches and businesses here. Nestled in the foothills of the Appalachians, the area is noted for its natural beauty and simple lifestyles. Admission is $2. It begins Sunday 1:00 to 4:00 p.m. and Monday 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. For more information call Dowling Memorial Park, 256-747-8635, or go to www.sweettaterfestival.com.

Ider Mule Days - The town of Ider beckons visitors to return to mule days when life was simple and times were fun. Enjoy a parade of mules, horses, carriages, antique tractors, a horse pull, mule pull, antique tractors, cars, arts and crafts, food and children’s activities. Ider is located on Sand Mountain in DeKalb County. Admission is free. For more information, call Ider Town Park, 256-657-4184, or go to www.discoverlookoutmountain.com.

Topic of the Day - The Tongue

I know what you're thinking. Are we going to have to listen to her ramble on and on and on again about her second tongue? (Which by the way is still there, but seems to have stopped growing. Thanks for asking!) No, no, no. This is something totally different.

Now you're probably thinking we're going to talk about how powerful the tongue is and how easy it is to say the wrong thing... you know, the two-edged sword thing. Sorry. That's not it either.

I was just thinking if we used our tongue for good (instead of evil), how great that would be. I made a list of ten things to say to someone who's hurting for whatever reason. I know many people don't say anything to hurting people because they are afraid it will cause more pain, so the following list might help.

1. I'm so sorry.

2. I love you.

3. Can I bring dinner next Tuesday? (Always make it specific. "Can I bring dinner sometime?" usually gets lost in busyness and never makes it to the dinner table.)

4. How is (FILL IN THE BLANK)?

5. How are YOU feeling?

6. Would you like to have lunch next Wednesday... my treat? (Again, make it specific.)

7. Can I keep you company in the waiting room for a little while tomorrow?

8. I made extra muffins for breakfast tomorrow. Can I bring some by for you and your family? I won't stay. I'll just drop them off.

9. I have no idea how you feel, but I'll be glad to listen any time. Can I call you tomorrow? (If someone is hurting, for whatever reason, they usually don't need to hear other sad stories. They just need to talk.)

10. I'm praying for you. (And then really pray for them.)

I've always heard people say (and I've been one of them many, many times), "I don't know what to say," or "I'm afraid I'll make them cry." Well, depending on how well you know the person, you can pick any one of the above and not have to worry about offending or hurting anyone.

And as far as the crying thing goes, it doesn't have to be because you said the wrong thing. If you tell someone you love them or you're sorry and they cry, it isn't because of something you said... it's because they are incredibly sad. Crying is a natural release. Everyone has cried at one time or another in their lives.

It is very difficult to talk to a person who is hurting. It takes most of us out of our comfort zone, and if you are like me, that's not somewhere you want to be... EVER! I like my comfort zone very, very much.

But it is necessary. It is important. And someday, if we all live long enough, we'll need people to say one of the ten things listed above to us.

"Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing." Proverbs 12:18.

Okay. That's all, folks. No more daily challenges this week (or next week). Beginning Monday, I feel the need to tell some football stories. That's right. Football stories. (Most of these will have to be "made up" because I'm a little limited in the "football story" department, but they'll make for much lighter blog reading!)

Did you know I grew up next to a girl who was best friends with Joe Namath's cousin? See. I have football stories!

Are You Ready For Some Football Date

It's exactly like it sounds. Take one (and only one) child with you to your favorite college football team game. (Yes, this can definitely be a fun family date, too. However, it is an all day, one-on-one marathon date. Tailgating, walking around campus, face painting, buying a t-shirt or other souvenir, the ride to the game and the ride home... Talk about some good bonding time! It's the best.)

If you have more than one child who would enjoy this date, plan accordingly. You may have to go to two or three games during one season, which means you may have to save some money throughout the year. Or you may take your oldest to a game this year, your next oldest to a game next year, and so on, and so on.

Whether your team wins or loses, you won't regret the enormous amount of time this date affords.

NOTE - Josh has a goal to go to games at all of the SEC school stadiums. He and Mikie try to go to at least one a year. Austin has accompanied them in the past, but this year, it will be just the two of them... and boy, are they looking forward to the day trip!

ANOTHER NOTE - A college game tends to be better for a date than a high school game because the kids usually have friends at the high school games. As they get older, they want to "hang out" with their friends at these games (which is fine). Going to a college game takes away the possibility you may have to sit in the stands by yourself during the date while your child is spending time with other people.

Have a tremendous Thursday... the best day of the week EVER. You'll be glad to know there will be no more challenges this week. I'm emotionally spent... and people in Wal-Mart are tired of me coming up to them asking if they need to "share their story with someone today." Tomorrow we will have a much shorter post. (I know I always say that and it never happens.) We'll talk about Weekend Happenings, the book you HAVE TO BUY before Monday and other randomness. Nothing earth shattering, but I hope you check in just the same.

Take care, and I'll talk to you tomorrow.

Sincerely,

The Enchanting Belinda

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those volleyball pictures took me back to my basketball days...I miss those...

Great shots, by the way. :)

Friday...

Friday...
Finally, some new basketball action shots.

The JV team had two 40-minute games Friday, so I thought I would just go ahead and start filming now!

And here's the obligatory Bryant Tuggle pic. He's a HUGE supporter of our baskeball team. Always has been... always will be. Well, until he gets his own driver's license!

Saturday...

Saturday...
We spent the day with the cousins Saturday. Monica, Amy, Roxie and I shopped at Brookwood, ate at Yolo's and went to the movies (Pirates 4). It was a great day, but the best part was our celebrity sighting...

That's right! Will Ferrell! (Please feel free to use your imagination. I know we did!)

Sunday...

Sunday...
Mikie's 50th Family Birthday Celebration! Everyone knows 50 year-old men LOVE the Green Lantern...and their wives really like Ryan Reynolds! (How cool would it be to have your picture on a birthday party plate package? Another goal, perhaps?)

What do you give a 50 year-old guys for his birthday? Cards... filled with money, Ricky Skaggs' concert tickets, a True Grit DVD and a Red Devil's Food Cake with Divinity Icing (from his Mom). It was a very good day!

Lovely Melia gave him the True Grit DVD. (I LOVE that movie!)

And it wouldn't be a birthday without a hug from Roxie!