Thursday, July 16, 2009

Weekend Happenings

Good Friday morning!

I think you'll find today's post surprisingly short... which will make Mikie happy. He is legally obligated to listen to me talk about any and everything, so a lot of the blog is old news to him. But to his credit, he does try to read it every day. And when he gets behind, he actually reads until he gets caught up. I think it's sweet, and I totally believe him when he says he does this. Mainly because I have a list of questions for him to answer every day when he gets home from work regarding the post for that day. If he makes below a 90/100, he's in trouble!

I just spoke with my sister and family and they haven't spotted any alligators in the campground... yet. I don't know about you, but if I'm vacationing and trying to relax, keeping an eye out for the occasional stray alligator might make me re-think my campground choice. On the other hand, it would be an adventure of sorts... and with my penchant (good word) for slightly exaggerating the truth to make my life appear more interesting, it could have the makings of a pretty good story. Hmmm. The Faulkner Five may have to visit that campsite one day.

Weekend Happenings

Quiet, quiet weekend plans. Austin's working Friday AND Saturday nights. We're going out to lunch as The Faulkner Five Saturday afternoon. (I have got to get some shirts for us to wear when we go out together, don't you think?) And Roxie and I are attending Gardendale Community Theater's production of Seven Brides for Seven Brothers Saturday evening.

And Sunday... Well, Sunday will be church and then a bunch of cooking. Austin and Josh are having friends over for an X-Box party (I can't remember which game they're playing at the moment), and I will be supplying an array of culinary delights. (Code for TONS AND TONS OF MEAT, CHIPS, COOKIES AND ASSORTED BEVERAGES.) I think Roxie is planning on a fishing trip with her Dad Sunday evening which will be a good date for the two of them.

That's it. It looks good on paper. We'll see how it all comes together.

200th Post Contest

Skip this section if you've already entered the contest. Otherwise, read on.

1. For every person you share my blog address with (www.belindafaulkner.blogspot.com), your name will be put in a bowl one time. (If you tell ten people about A Simple Life, your name will be put in the drawing bowl TEN times.) It's that easy.

2. If you have a blog of your own, and you mention A Simple Life in your blog, your name automatically goes in the drawing bowl TEN times.

3. If you don't tell anyone about the blog, you can still have your name put in the drawing bowl by leaving me an e-mail OR comment with the word "contest" somewhere in the text. (It doesn't even have to be in a sentence.)

4. You need to let me know how many people you have shared the info with by midnight, Monday, July 27. The drawing will be held at 10:00 a.m. Tuesday, July 28.

5. I hope it goes without saying you need to share the website with people who actually use a computer. (Two year-olds and great-grandmothers who have never heard the term "blog" do not count!)

The prize is a $15 gift certificate to Wal-Mart OR Chick-Fil-A OR the scrapbook store of your choice. Easy, easy contest.

Seasons

I felt confident about discussing my feelings regarding Spring and Summer since I've experienced those two Seasons fully. I didn't feel out of line talking about Autumn as I'm preparing to enter that Season (in two years, one month and ten days). But Winter... That's something I cannot write about with any personal knowledge since I haven't been there yet.

I know people in their Winter Season. I've also picked people out in the 75 to 100 year-old range I would like to emulate if and when Winter arrives for me. Feisty little women who dress in bright colors and wear bright red lipstick. Elegant, dignified women who walk a little slower, but have stories to tell if only we'll listen. And women who haven't let age steal their sense of humor or their joyfulness.

However, whenever I pick these women out in a crowd and say to myself, "I hope I'm like her when I'm her age," the answer comes back to me immediately. I will be an older version of what I am right this minute. If I wasn't feisty or elegant or joyful in the Spring, Summer and Autumn Seasons of my life, I won't acquire those attributes when I enter the Winter Season.

Yes. I've learned things. And I'm learning still, so I believe I will be somewhat wiser. But for the most part, I am what I am.

I will not enjoy talking or listening for long periods of time about home or car repairs. (My friends know this about me, so I'm not hurting any one's feelings here.) I will love the mountains in the fall.

I will not like to go to meetings (of any type), and I will not like black and white movies (I don't know why). I will love babies, and will automatically cross a room to meet a new little person at every opportunity.

I will not be a world traveler unless one or more of my children moves to a different part of the world and forces my hand. In that case, I will be a world traveler, but not a happy one.

And I think I will always be passionate about my family. I think that will follow me into the Winter months. I hope so.

Roxie always says, "You're not old until you're 100." Her goal for everyone in our family is for Willard Scott to wish them a Happy 100th Birthday on the Today Show. It's a sweet wish... if not a practical one.

"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven. A time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away. A time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak. A time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace." Ecclesiastes 3:1, 6-8.

Book

As the picture in the Gallery above indicates, the Book of the Week is actually a magazine. Southern Lady is one of my favorite "new" magazines these last couple of years. It is beautiful through and through, has great recipes, and captures the spirit of all things "Southern" and lovely.

It is published bi-monthly and costs $4.99 (which isn't bad for six issues a year). The recipe I'll be sharing with you next week comes out of this issue. It is the Lemon Cream Pie shown on the cover. Of course, if I recommend the recipe, it is very doable. (I think I'll use Austin and Josh's friends as guinea pigs Sunday night. We'll see how they rate the pie!)

Pick up a copy this weekend if you've never browsed through one before. (I know Books-A-Million and other book stores carry them. I think Wal-Mart has them, also, but I'll need to double check before I put it in writing.) I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Have a great weekend. Come back next week for a lot of new, fun ideas, as well as a few other surprises.

Take care, and I'll talk to you Monday.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

dear belinda
contest contest contest

Beebo said...

Update on the alligator watching...still have not seen one but we here the babies making their croaking sound every night. it sounds like there are quite a few. I'm not worried about them just the mommas. LOL
LUv Ya B

roakley said...

Belinda,
Just posted your blog address on my FB page. I have 117 friends. You do the math.

RO

PS Got you something from Alaska

Friday...

Friday...
Finally, some new basketball action shots.

The JV team had two 40-minute games Friday, so I thought I would just go ahead and start filming now!

And here's the obligatory Bryant Tuggle pic. He's a HUGE supporter of our baskeball team. Always has been... always will be. Well, until he gets his own driver's license!

Saturday...

Saturday...
We spent the day with the cousins Saturday. Monica, Amy, Roxie and I shopped at Brookwood, ate at Yolo's and went to the movies (Pirates 4). It was a great day, but the best part was our celebrity sighting...

That's right! Will Ferrell! (Please feel free to use your imagination. I know we did!)

Sunday...

Sunday...
Mikie's 50th Family Birthday Celebration! Everyone knows 50 year-old men LOVE the Green Lantern...and their wives really like Ryan Reynolds! (How cool would it be to have your picture on a birthday party plate package? Another goal, perhaps?)

What do you give a 50 year-old guys for his birthday? Cards... filled with money, Ricky Skaggs' concert tickets, a True Grit DVD and a Red Devil's Food Cake with Divinity Icing (from his Mom). It was a very good day!

Lovely Melia gave him the True Grit DVD. (I LOVE that movie!)

And it wouldn't be a birthday without a hug from Roxie!