Good Thursday morning!
The Gallery Pics are up and running. Today you get to see the Capitol through the eyes of Austin, as well as the Space and Rocket Museum and his first (and maybe last) lobster. (Austin wasn't as much of a lobster fan as he thought he would be.) Some of my favorites are coming up tomorrow. I bet you've already guessed those will be the Zoo pics.
I hope everyone is having a good week. Today's a great day because Roxie is coming home, and for about two hours I'll have everyone in my family together again... and then Josh is spending the night with his cousins at Grandmother's house. Heavy, heavy sigh. But he's coming home Friday, so the weekend is MINE! Don't get me wrong. Everyone can have a good time and visit friends, family, etc., (and friends and family are more than welcome here) but Friday, Saturday and Sunday, everyone is sleeping under the same roof. And get this! We're eating a bunch of meals together. And guess what else? It's written in stone. That's right. It is OFFICIAL! (I'm tired of having only two out of three kids home at one time. It's going to be a long four years, isn't it?)
Yeah! I'm going to be the perfect example of what a pre-empty-nester SHOULDN'T be. (I say "pre" because I'm not officially an empty-nester until Roxie leaves for college... in six short years.)
But today is a good day. I will not ruin it by counting down the days, hours, minutes, seconds until August 7 at 1:00 p.m. Central Standard Time when Austin has to report for Rookie Band Camp. Classes do not start until the 21st, but he has to be there extra early. (I hate Rookie Band!)
Oh, well. I guess we should get to the business at hand. Weekend Family Fun is a little bit shorter than last week's list, but there is still plenty to do. As always, if you know of anything to add, let me know through the comment section or e-mail me so I can add it by Friday's post.
Weekend Family Fun
Lowe's Build & Grow Clinic - The clinic is Saturday from 10:00 a.m. until 11:00 a.m. It is similar to the Home Depot Clinic. This weekend's project is a treasure chest. (If your child is old enough, after they build their treasure chest, you could plan a pirate movie night and watch Pirates of the Caribbean or for younger kids, Veggie Tales... The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything Movie.)
Argo Drive-In - Friday and Saturday night they are having a double feature (Ice Age 3 and Night at the Museum). As usual, it is $10 a carload and the movies are starting around 8:20. Take plenty of bug spray, food, drinks and have a good, CHEAP time.
The Dollar Movie - Hannah Montana, The Movie (G) and Monsters vs. Aliens (PG) are still showing this weekend at The Dollar Movie in Hoover. It's a great deal if you haven't seen these two movies yet.
I know it isn't a weekend "thing," but don't forget to check the websites for the free movies at the Rave Theaters and Regal Theater (Trussville) on Tuesday and Wednesday mornings at 10:00.
Sports Nut (Part 2) by Becky Freeman
It was Friday football on a beautiful October evening in Texas. The crisp air, the band playing something patriotic and snappy, the Buffaloes' red uniforms contrasted with the blue of the other team's, looked so lovely against the green field. (We women notice these things.)
All was bright and beautiful -- until Zeke, a junior, went down on the football field. And did not get up.
As the paramedics rushed forward, Scott took the steps down to the field two at a time, bounded over the tall fence, and rushed to our son. I ran along behind him, my heart in my throat. Then I came face to face with the fence. What to do, what to do?
I stopped for a fleeting second and thought, "If I climb this fence and Zeke's okay, I'll embarrass my son for the rest of his mortal life. If I don't, I'll have to fight every mothering instinct in me that's telling me to go to my hurting child."
What can I say? I'm a mom. I climbed!
When I got to the sidelines, Scott looked up and caught my eye, motioning for me to return to The Mother Spot -- on the other side of the fence. He told me Zeke had dislocated his elbow, and I should run get the car and meet them at the hospital with insurance forms in hand.
I retraced my steps on legs of pure rubber; then, once again, I came to the fence. In the moments since I'd left it, it had GROWN. Try as I might, I could not get over the thing. So the cheerleaders gathered around me in pyramid formation and shoved me up and over the fence. I landed so hard that I injured my knee and couldn't get up. A kind man and good friend, Dane Woodall, had to help me off the field and drive me to the hospital. (Dane also discreetly pointed out that there was a gate not five yards from where I'd taken my undignified tumble.)
The feeling in my knee came back a while later, and though it was terribly sprained, I felt nothing until the next day -- nothing hurt that night but my heart.
Eventually, I hobbled over to the emergency room to see my son.
"Mom?" he asked as he lay, in terrible pain, arm out-stretched and wrapped in splints. "Why are you limping?"
I hopped on one leg until I was where I longed to be -- with my arms around my child.
"I'm fine," I replied. "It's just a minor sports injury. No big deal."
Zeke looked confused, but I didn't explain. I just leaned on the clean white pillow, then stroked and kissed his cheek.
"I'm okay, Mom," he said courageously. "God was with me."
I forget that sometimes. But what a comforting thought. I can't be with my children, can't always protect them, though, Lord knows, I want to. Yet God's presence knows no bounds. He can be Father, Mother, Friend and Brother to my kids -- at least until I can hobble in to give them a kiss on the cheek.
Come back tomorrow for Part 3 from Peanut Butter Kisses & Mud Pie Hugs.
Slumber Party Date
This is easy, but it requires Mom to be willing to follow the Slumber Party Rules set by her daughter. What would your daughter want to do if she had a slumber party with several of her favorite friends? After you ask this question, listen to the answers. They will vary depending on age and interests, but usually it will include a list something like this:
1. Have pizza delivered.
2. Paint fingernails and toenails.
3. Try a different hairdo.
4. Wear a facial mask.
5. Have a makeover.
6. Pick one or two movies. (Remember, their choice).
7. Plan a snack menu. (Make the snack with her if possible.)
8. "Sleep" in your favorite pajamas in the den on air mattresses with sleeping bags and pillows while you watch your movies.
9. STAY UP SUPER LATE.
10. Work on scrapbooks.
11. Get in the car around 10:00 and go for milkshakes at a local drive-thru.
12. Play flashlight tag in the front yard.
13. Jump on the trampoline at 11:00 at night.
14. Tell scary stories.
15. YOU GET THE IDEA!
And then, whatever is on the list, JUST DO IT! Just you and your girl! If you have more than one girl, make sure to schedule their Slumber Party Date for the next weekend so there won't be major jealousy problems. Close the door, and pretend you're a little girl again who has been invited to a wonderful slumber party. Remember the excitement, the anticipation, the thrill of being able to "stay up all night."
Be flexible and have a great time. (Plan it for a Friday night, so you can catch up on your beauty sleep Saturday. Remember, you're not a little girl anymore! Our "bounce back" ability is definitely limited the older we get. Mine is virtually non-existent.)
If you have boys, they would enjoy the same type date with Dad. Their list will be a little different from the girls, but a Slumber Party Date is just as much fun for your little guy as it is for your little girl.
On Tuesday, I will have three or four easy and fun Slumber Party Recipes for you to use for your date (or your next "real" slumber party). I found a great book at a yard sale for $1 called The Sleepover Cookbook... but that's something to look forward to next week!
Have a safe, fun Thursday. The weekend is right around the corner and the possibilities for family time are limitless. Check back tomorrow for a nice summer book, Part 3 of the Sports Nut, pictures from the Washington Zoo and a Weekend Update for the Faulkner Five. You can just cut the excitement with a knife, can't you?
Take care, and I'll talk to you tomorrow.
If you are new to A Simple Life, here's a little tip. There will ALWAYS be many, many pics at the end of each post. New pictures are added every day (Monday through Friday). If you want to get to the "picture" part of the blog, you have to keep scrolling down, down, down... but you will eventually find it! Thanks for visiting!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Friday...
Finally, some new basketball action shots.
The JV team had two 40-minute games Friday, so I thought I would just go ahead and start filming now!
And here's the obligatory Bryant Tuggle pic. He's a HUGE supporter of our baskeball team. Always has been... always will be. Well, until he gets his own driver's license!
Saturday...
We spent the day with the cousins Saturday. Monica, Amy, Roxie and I shopped at Brookwood, ate at Yolo's and went to the movies (Pirates 4). It was a great day, but the best part was our celebrity sighting...
That's right! Will Ferrell! (Please feel free to use your imagination. I know we did!)
Sunday...
Mikie's 50th Family Birthday Celebration! Everyone knows 50 year-old men LOVE the Green Lantern...and their wives really like Ryan Reynolds! (How cool would it be to have your picture on a birthday party plate package? Another goal, perhaps?)
What do you give a 50 year-old guys for his birthday? Cards... filled with money, Ricky Skaggs' concert tickets, a True Grit DVD and a Red Devil's Food Cake with Divinity Icing (from his Mom). It was a very good day!
Lovely Melia gave him the True Grit DVD. (I LOVE that movie!)
And it wouldn't be a birthday without a hug from Roxie!
1 comment:
Yes, we all know that as we age, our "bounce back" time gets longer and longer---especially if a bunch of girlfriends keep you up all night talking and playing games! oh, what memories......
Post a Comment