Monday, May 11, 2009

Coconut-Banana Cups

Good Tuesday morning!

Ahh! It feels good to have an up and running computer! It was very frustrating this weekend. I feel the same way about phone service and power when it is interrupted, too. I am so spoiled. I need to plan a Little House on the Prairie Night around here, and we'll do everything the old-fashioned way without power, phones, computers, etc. Or not. I don't think even I could make that fun!

I've added a picture from my camera from Mother's Day wearing my corsage. Mom, Bev and I took pictures at Miss Rosemarie's on Saturday, but there wasn't one where all three of us looked gorgeous at the same time, so you won't be seeing those.

I've also added Roxie's face picture I talked about yesterday. See how happy she is for her older brother? See how thrilled she is that he has received such a nice graduation gift? NOT!

Austin had an interview after school yesterday for a scholarship. The interview was downtown, and after multiple instructions, off he went. I had a bad feeling about his arriving at the right place at the right time... and that bad feeling came true. At 3:30, I called him to see if he was walking in the door. Nope. Very, very lost. I called the wonderful lady giving the interview, and she assured me it was not an unusual occurrence for high school seniors to have a little trouble in the downtown area, and she said she would see him when he arrived. It would not affect his scholarship chances at all. (Like I said... nice lady.)

Okay. Back on the phone with Austin. By this time, he is lost as in LOST the TV show. (LOST beyond hope!) He doesn't know where he is. I can't figure out where he is. He's calling out buildings, streets, etc. and finally he says something I recognize. "Okay! Get on that street!" From there, it was just a hop, skip, jump, detour and 20 minutes before he made it to the final destination.

I told him as he was getting out of the truck to go in... "Everyone gets lost downtown at one time or another. It's how you learn." He didn't sound too convinced, but we're hoping for the best. (Last night, after the Awards Ceremony, I told him tale after tale after tale of my "lost in Birmingham" stories... until he begged me to stop. And then I told him just one more... You know. To get the point across!) He's feeling much better about himself right about now! When you realize you have a directionally-challenged mother who has managed to arrive at specific destinations all her life (albeit, not always on time), it gives you hope. (That, and he's planning on buying a GPS with some of his graduation money!)

Senior Awards Night was a lot of fun. Austin did very well in the "Award Department," so it made it well worth the two hour program. (Halfway through, I gave Josh and Roxie cash and they went to the break room to get drinks and snacks, and to watch the TV for a little while. They are proud of their brother, but two hours is enough time for sibling resentment to set in if you're not careful!)

Tomorrow is Josh's turn. His Awards Day will begin at 10:30. We're especially looking forward to this ceremony. He's had to miss the last three years because of his illness, and he's worked so hard this year. In our family, tomorrow will be a monumental moment... one I hope to keep in my mind and heart forever and ever.

I don't have a specific topic today. I absolutely didn't have time to think of anything but the busy days we had planned for yesterday and today. Maybe tomorrow something will come to mind, but if not, I will still have a Seasonal Tradition. Some things will never change!

Coconut-Banana Cups

I had said in an earlier post, I had made two recipes from the Sandra Lee magazine. That was my intent. However, I only made one (a ham and potato casserole), but this week I AM GOING TO MAKE THE FOLLOWING... (and it will be my family's favorite!)...

You will need the following:

4 cups sweetened flaked coconut
3 egg whites
2 cups whole milk
1 (3.4 ounce) box instant banana cream-flavored pudding mix
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup frozen nondairy whipped topping
2 bananas, sliced 1/4 inch thick

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray 16 muffin cups with cooking spray. Cut 16 small circles of parchment paper, and place in bottom of prepared muffin cups.

2. In a large bowl, combine coconut and egg whites, mixing well. Scoop 1/4 cup of mixture into prepared muffin cups, pressing firmly in bottom and up sides. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove to wire racks, and cool completely.

3. In a large bowl, whisk together milk and pudding mix. Chill until set, about 15 minutes. Stir in vanilla extract and whipped topping. Spoon into coconut cups, and top with sliced bananas. Serve immediately.

Does this not sound wonderful to you? The pictures are beautiful, too. I know, I know. You have to like coconut AND bananas for this to be a go for you and your family. I happen to love coconut AND bananas! I'll let you know in a day or so how good they are... or if you try them before me, you can let me know.

Again, the name of the magazine is Sandra Lee Semi-Homemade, and it is great.

Have a great Tuesday. We have Josh's Awards Day, Austin and Josh's Awards Luncheon and two band concerts tonight. Is that a "simple" day, or what? You've gotta love May.

I'll have more pics for the Gallery tomorrow, as well as the aforementioned tradition. Check back in if you get a chance.

Take care, and I'll talk to you tomorrow.

1 comment:

momofboys said...

Didn't you know that May is the new December?

Friday...

Friday...
Finally, some new basketball action shots.

The JV team had two 40-minute games Friday, so I thought I would just go ahead and start filming now!

And here's the obligatory Bryant Tuggle pic. He's a HUGE supporter of our baskeball team. Always has been... always will be. Well, until he gets his own driver's license!

Saturday...

Saturday...
We spent the day with the cousins Saturday. Monica, Amy, Roxie and I shopped at Brookwood, ate at Yolo's and went to the movies (Pirates 4). It was a great day, but the best part was our celebrity sighting...

That's right! Will Ferrell! (Please feel free to use your imagination. I know we did!)

Sunday...

Sunday...
Mikie's 50th Family Birthday Celebration! Everyone knows 50 year-old men LOVE the Green Lantern...and their wives really like Ryan Reynolds! (How cool would it be to have your picture on a birthday party plate package? Another goal, perhaps?)

What do you give a 50 year-old guys for his birthday? Cards... filled with money, Ricky Skaggs' concert tickets, a True Grit DVD and a Red Devil's Food Cake with Divinity Icing (from his Mom). It was a very good day!

Lovely Melia gave him the True Grit DVD. (I LOVE that movie!)

And it wouldn't be a birthday without a hug from Roxie!