Thursday, December 4, 2008

Weekend Happenings

Good Friday morning!

I hope this post finds you ready for the first official WEEKEND OF THE CHRISTMAS SEASON! How many things are packed into your two days off from school and/or work? I'm thinking of changing the name of my blog from "A Simple Life" to "I WOULD HAVE A SIMPLE LIFE IF EVERYONE WOULD STOP ADDING THINGS TO MY SCHEDULE!" How about that for Christmas spirit?

Don't worry. I haven't become a Scrooge. It's just a little difficult to maintain a simple lifestyle during this crazy month, isn't it? This week alone, we've had a band concert and a Christmas parade... not to mention the normal stuff like school, guitar lessons, school Christmas play practice, Austin's work schedule and church. (And I know most people could blow me away in the "busy department," so I'm going to be thankful that the above was all we had this week.) That's what iced coffees at McDonald's are for. (They're just running a tab for me as I go through the drive-through two or three (four or five) times a day!)

The Christmas Parade was FRIGID. Good word! However, it was very fun, and we enjoyed standing in the cold one last time to watch Austin lead the band. He did great! I also met a little three year-old boy who clearly gets what Christmas is all about. Baby Jesus, Santa Claus, cold weather, fire trucks, pretty girls riding by in convertibles. "Merry Christmas!" he shouted to one and all. I leaned down before we left and asked him if he had talked to Santa yet. He nodded vigorously and said, "I told him, Hi!" I hope he gets everything he's asking for, and I know even if he doesn't he's going to have a blast Christmas morning. You've got to love three year-old boys and girls.

This weekend will be a lot of fun, actually. Friday is clear for my family (YEA!), so I'm thinking Faulkner Family Christmas Movie Night. I'm taking Roxie and friends to a place called Painted Biscuit in Cullman Saturday morning to paint ceramic ornaments. When we get home, we're going to the tree farm to cut down our Christmas tree. We'll have to put off decorating our third and final tree for a day or so, because Roxie has her first basketball game Saturday night and Austin will be at work.

Sunday we have a Sunday School fellowship after church, and then I'm going to go to the Parade of Homes here in town. (I'm sure going to a bunch of homes decorated to the hilt will make me feel really good about myself!)

After church Sunday night, The Faulkner Five will watch Amazing Race (it's the last one for this season), and get ready for the week ahead. It's a full weekend, but certainly "doable." The two days hold plenty of Christmasy things to do for everyone whether we're doing our own thing or coming together as a family. (Just so you know, we're watching Amazing Race in our Santa hats.)

Book

I told you how I love "twofers." This book qualifies. It is called The Three Trees by Angela Elwell Hunt. If you have never read this book before (and I'm sure you have), it is the story of three trees standing tall on a hillside dreaming of what they may one day become. One wants to be a beautiful ship, one a treasure chest and one wants to grow to be the tallest tree ever so when people look at the tree it will point them to God. I won't tell you the rest of the story in case you haven't read it, but every tree gets their wish except in very, very different ways.

This book is wonderful for Christmas AND Easter. (There's your "twofer"). It also has a very poignant message about God's perfect plan for our lives. Our dreams for our lives are not always God's plan, but His plan is so much more than we could ever dream.

If you haven't already, please, please add this book to your collection. It is wonderful.

I'll be back on Monday with a party for the kids (guys and/or girls) in your family; a quick no-bake dessert for company or a family gathering; a transition tradition that starts when the kids are very small and evolves into something teenagers and young adults will enjoy; a Christmas date for you and your spouse; and one more great Christmas book (there are so many) to add to your Holiday Book Basket.

Oh... I almost forgot. Christmas Card Count - Big Number FIVE! I hope to be in double digits when I report to you on Monday!

Have a great weekend, and I'll be back on Monday!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm a couple of days behind on reading your blog, but wanted you to know that the Holiday Book Basket is one of my favorite Christmas traditions. I like having the kids (even though they're almost grown) sitting around listening to the same stories they've heard for years, but realizing that what they are hearing will hopefully be applied daily rather than being a "story" like when they were younger.

You make every day a JOY!!

Mikie

Friday...

Friday...
Finally, some new basketball action shots.

The JV team had two 40-minute games Friday, so I thought I would just go ahead and start filming now!

And here's the obligatory Bryant Tuggle pic. He's a HUGE supporter of our baskeball team. Always has been... always will be. Well, until he gets his own driver's license!

Saturday...

Saturday...
We spent the day with the cousins Saturday. Monica, Amy, Roxie and I shopped at Brookwood, ate at Yolo's and went to the movies (Pirates 4). It was a great day, but the best part was our celebrity sighting...

That's right! Will Ferrell! (Please feel free to use your imagination. I know we did!)

Sunday...

Sunday...
Mikie's 50th Family Birthday Celebration! Everyone knows 50 year-old men LOVE the Green Lantern...and their wives really like Ryan Reynolds! (How cool would it be to have your picture on a birthday party plate package? Another goal, perhaps?)

What do you give a 50 year-old guys for his birthday? Cards... filled with money, Ricky Skaggs' concert tickets, a True Grit DVD and a Red Devil's Food Cake with Divinity Icing (from his Mom). It was a very good day!

Lovely Melia gave him the True Grit DVD. (I LOVE that movie!)

And it wouldn't be a birthday without a hug from Roxie!