Before we get into today's Date, I wanted to share a little story about something Mike and I did for a date last year. Trying to be creative and not spend a ton of money each time two adults go out is not easy, is it?
Well, we had put the tent up in the backyard for a week of backyard camp outs. Austin had a camp out; Josh had a camp out; Roxie had a camp out; and then the siblings together had a camp out. I even camped out with Roxie one night for a girls' night out... in the backyard, that is. So before we took the tent down, I decided to plan a special little date for me and Mikie. I rented a movie (not animated), and fixed our supper, a cooler with drinks (water and sodas), etc. and when Mikie came home, I told him WE were going to have a backyard camp out. Just me and my Mikie. To say he looked less than thrilled was an understatement, but he was game.
We had our little supper, and we checked on the kids (ages 16, 14 and 11 -- plenty old enough to stay in the house alone -- four feet from our tent) and we watched our non-animated movie. It was fun. We talked and caught up. (The best part was having our bathroom four feet away.) As we were getting ready to go to bed, Mike said, "I think we're on a little slope."
"Oh, we are not. It's your imagination. This is the flattest part of the yard. There is NO slope here."
"I think you're wrong. Let's move everything around and sleep on the opposite side of the air mattress."
"Noooo. I don't want to move. I'm comfortable, and I'm tired, and there is no slope. You always think there's a slope," I whined.
So Mikie and I went to sleep. When we woke up, I had a terrible headache. I looked over at Mikie and in the morning light he looked like a tomato. "What is wrong with your face?"
"All the blood is in my head. Look at how white my feet are. They're cold, too. Like 'dead' feet," he responded numbly.
I sat up (way too quickly) and let all the blood that was supposed to be in all parts of my body redistribute itself. "You know. We're lucky we didn't have a stroke sleeping on a slope like that all night. We should have changed positions on the air mattress," I said grumpily.
"What!? Are you kidding me?" I could tell he was about to get really agitated, so I changed the subject.
"Wasn't that fun though? Just a little something different. We can tell our grandkids about it one day. You know... how quirky and fun Papa and Nana used to be," I pointed out cheerily.
"If we ever sleep like that again, I don't know that we'll get to meet our grandchildren," was his response.
Just a little reminder that not all dates will be perfect. Some may turn out to be not much fun. Some may send you to the emergency room. But ALL of them will create a memory, a bonding, a little something you experienced with only one other person that will give you something to talk about in years to come. So don't be disappointed if you have a bad date. Give it time, and maybe one day it will be a funny memory... or as Mike would say, "Or maybe not!"
Take a Hike
Today's date is easy to plan (you just need non-rainy weather and a really good hiking stick). Just take a hike. Almost too simple to comprehend, isn't it? But it is a very good date.
First, consider the age of the child you'll be taking and how much of a hiker this kid will be. You don't want to get halfway through the trail and have a four or five year-old dangling from your back the rest of the way. Not fun for anyone! I would suggest seven and older (boy or girl).
Second, find the perfect hiking stick. You may think this is a non-essential, but kids (boys and girls) love having a hiking stick. If you don't want to spend "hiking time" looking for the perfect stick, find some woods near your home and find the stick before the hike.
Third, if there is a State Park nearby, find out how many hiking trails they have in the park. We are very fortunate to have three state parks within less than an hour driving distance and two more a little more than an hour. Once you have chosen the park, you can call and ask them how many marked hiking trails they have. Then ask how many are simple, moderate or difficult. They will give you all of this information over the phone, as well as how far each hike will be (1.2 miles, etc.) Pick your date, park and your trail. (They all have names, so stay away from the ones called "Dead Man's Jump" or "Zombie Cave Trail.")
Now you are ready. You will also need to pack a lightweight backpack (for you to carry -- not the child). Remember, we're not trying to make a man out of him/her on this little hike. This is just for fun. Pack frozen water bottles, trail mix, or any other snack you might like. Keep in mind to start off slow. Don't pick the 9.4 difficult hiking trail first. Pick a simple 1.2 mile trail, and if there's time after snack or lunch, you might try another one.
This is talking and walking time. It's a time to tell stories about when you were a little boy or girl. (That's right, Mom. You can take a hike with a child, too.) I'm a little bit wary of spring and summer hiking (because of snakes), but late fall and early winter hiking is very enjoyable. We've been on several of the trails at Guntersville and one at Oak Mountain. We also went on a family hike at a campground in Tennessee that just about did us in. The view was incredible, but six years later, I'm not sure it was worth the walk. (Especially when we noticed a parking lot directly behind the top of the trail. What took us over an hour of uphill walking, was directly accessible by car in less than ten minutes. I'm still trying to get over that one!)
Anyway, this is a healthy, inexpensive way to spend one-on-one time with your child. And in today's economy, let's face it... inexpensive is the way to go. Don't let money dictate whether you date your child or spouse though. Use your imagination to create ways to spend the time with your child. You'll never regret it... and they'll never forget it! (Hey, is it just me, or does that sound like another great tattoo slogan? I may have to start a Saturday section for "Tattoo Phrases." We'll see.)
Tomorrow's book is really a series of books for pre-teen girls. I read them when I was a girl, and they were wonderful. Roxie is reading them now. Tune in tomorrow for some great new titles.
Have a great day!
No comments:
Post a Comment